Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
I wish to show off a little with this group photo.

That's my dad C.W. Kemp. Age 86 on the Greeves.

The ugly one in the middle is myself, age 48,

And the pretty one on the end is Kristy, age 10.

I am about as proud of this photo as any that I own.

Jonny

Attachments

• small file.jpg
    small file.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 189

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
oldguy said:
that sure is a family to be proud of. 86 and still riding :worship:

Ditto! I would love to still be riding when & if I'm 86 with TWO generations of offspring. You go, Grandpa!
You are truly blessed, Jon K.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Well; Dad hasn't rode bikes in a few years, though that is his Greeves. We kept it. He does still ride his Q U A D quite a bit. Every day actually. Checks his hog traps.

Dad raced Indians (dirt track) back in the '40s. He would put the racebike in the sidecar of the Harley, and ride to the races. He didn't own a car or truck.

He has a hillclimb trophy from 1947. That one was won on his Harley, and there was only one trophy that day; he is pretty proud of that one. As he tells the story; that hillclimb was the elusive "perfect run" that only comes around (if at all) once or twice in your life. He remembers it like it was this morning.

His last trophy came in '67 (on that very Greeves) for an Enduro in Chipola. Or maybe it was an observed trials in the Spillway. . . .

I ate lunch with dad yesterday, as I do every Wednesday. A few weeks ago he had to brush the sawdust off his pants before going into the restraunt. He had been running his chainsaw.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
:cool:

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
Hey Jon, I just took a closer look at that picture and recognized you from a LTR race about two years ago. Were you working the kids race?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The picture is cool Jon, but your follow-on story is even cooler. I can only hope that one of my son's will have a photo like that one day.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Dewster said:
Hey Jon, I just took a closer look at that picture and recognized you from a LTR race about two years ago. Were you working the kids race?

Yeah; up to this year (I came down with kuru or something this year, spent raceday in the emergency room!) I haven't missed an LTR (Great Piney Woods) race since 1981. Yes, I was probably working the kid's race. I would have had on that same hat, and red suspenders.

The first race ever held in Chipola, by what would later become the LTR; was refereed by . . . . . you guessed it . . . . . my dad. Circa '67 or so.

Only one he ever did, though, as he says it: "All I got out of it was a cussing!"

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
We were cleaning out Dad's house a few days ago, and I ran across this trophy. I immediately thought of this thread.

Thought you guys might like to see it.

Dad is no longer with us, but his legacy will remain, as we owe a great debt to the old-timers. Men and motorcycles alike, made of iron. These pioneers ably laid the groundwork for what our sport has become.

I have posted a few more pics in the gallery.

http://www.dirtrider.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=3&userid=22460

Attachments

• Copy of 47 trophy 001 (4).jpg
    Copy of 47 trophy 001 (4).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 100
  • Copy of 1947 trophy 005.jpg
    Copy of 1947 trophy 005.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 100

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Jon very sorry to hear of your loss of your dad but it sounds like his life and those around him were very rich just because he was there.
Thanks for the post and be sure your son can in the future post a 3 generation of riders picture as well

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I missed this thread the first time around. Thanks for posting the photos and reciting the story.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom