Throttle action not smooth?

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
When I turn the throttle, I feel and hear the spring binding or something. I don't notice any performance problems and I couldn't see anything wrong with the cable and carb connections. Not sure if it's something that I've never noticed.

I was wondering if anyone has noticed this.

My bike is a 97 KDX 220

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Mine sometimes does that, but then I just take the slide and spring assembly apart and put it all together and it is gone. Sometimes it makes noise when I put it together, somethimes it dosn't. Im not too worried about it.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
A couple of possibilities:

1) Where the spring meets the carb slide there is a little plastic collar. This is actually the spring retainer. It has a plastic ridge on one side that must fit into corresponding notch on the slide connector that holds the end of the throttle cable. Unfortunately, it is very easy to not get this right when changing cables or removing the slide, in which case the spring binds up.

2) Your throttle cable may be frayed and/or dirty and making things feel weird.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Mine did it when I first got it, so I ttok the slide off, and put it back together, and it's fine now. I think it's because the spring gets twisted, or the collar isn't properly seated or lined up.

jgino157

May 17, 2002
Originally posted by BRush
1) Where the spring meets the carb slide there is a little plastic collar. This is actually the spring retainer. It has a plastic ridge on one side that must fit into corresponding notch on the slide connector that holds the end of the throttle cable. Unfortunately, it is very easy to not get this right when changing cables or removing the slide, in which case the spring binds up.

This will solve the "kink" you hear and feel......Great advice

Top Bottom