CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
What about riding in EXTREMELY wet and muddy tight singletrack?

This past sat. we went to Little Egypt OHV area in IL and it was nasty. Super hard pack clay that was soaking wet and slick as dog doo doo. Wind storms had knocked over alot of trees (6" - 14" Dia.) and there were many off camber slick clay hills. Most of the trees as well as root were not able to be hit at right angles and were SLICK! Single track was too tight to get a running start up hills and you couldn't get enought traction to get the front wheel over the trees. I was absolutely worn out. This was my first time since I started riding again to ride in wet conditions. It was also my first time to ride a big heavy fourstroke in wet conditions ever.

Granted it was 2:00 in the afternoon and the heat index was well over 100. But I didn't even clock in 9 miles on my bike before I had to quit riding with a headache. That is the first time I have ever been miserable riding a dirtbike. I probably went down five or six times in less than 9 miles, bent my radiator on a log and tweaked my bars.

Any suggestions for when there is no traction?

quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
Sometimes Cal, the conditions just don't allow you to ride the trails. Last spring we spent the whole morning or more slogging through 5 or 10 miles of snow, to find we could not complete our loop, and had to go back through the same deep muck.

Wet changes everything in the woods. Roots get slippery, rocks get slippery, tires plug with mud, neither end of the bike grips, you can't turn, brake or climb. Some things, like lowering tire pressure, softening the suspension can give relief. But overall, I say forget it. Hope for better conditions next time out. Happens to the best.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Cal, that sounds a bit like my local riding area in winter, except it's usually only around 50 degrees :). Still I often end up soaked with sweat.

If you're looking for something you can buy that will help, I'd say tires. Going off your description, I'd try a brand new 140 width s12 rear with about 4 psi in it.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by LongTime

Oh boy. You've got me shaking my head alright. .. . If Terry or Kiwi see this your next ride will look like Bataan. . . and I may well be on it next to you! :eek:

I'm not as think as I smart I am :confused: what is Bataan? And Lets find out next week.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by scar tissue

I'm not as think as I smart I am :confused: what is Bataan? And Lets find out next week.

Ok, if you insist.:p

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
xr 600,

A lot of good advice in this thread. I also ride in the Michigan woods (you should join us sometime). One of my riding buddies also rides a 600. He is fast, but he is also a little crazy.
A couple of thougts: 1) keep the engine in the middle of powerband. pull the clutch and rev the engine if you have to. 2) use the front brake when possible. I once heard Randy Hawkins say, "in the really nasty stuff everybody goes the same speed, it how quickly you go from point to point between the nasty stuff that will determine your overall speed". The front brake is essential to go from point to point as fast as you can.
I hope this info is helpful. I live in the Lansing area. Send me an email when you go riding next time - mmaurer@allmerica.com.
Mike Jr.

Top Bottom