Time to cvhange top-end in my 01 YZ125

menaceg21

Apr 18, 2006
I'm going to change the top-end in my 01 YZ 125. I have never done this before so can somebody give me some ideas on what I'm going to need to do? What parts do you suggest and how long is it going to take? Thanks.....

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Clean the bike and engine.
Have a clean work area.
Remove the tank, seat, sub-frame, carb/intake/reeds, and exhaust.
Drain your coolant from the radiators and water pump.
Disassemble the top-end with the appropriate wrenches. Pay particular attention to the powervalve assembly taking pics for reassembly. IMPORTANT: Be sure to coverup the bottom end to prevent anything from falling into the cases!!! Shop rags work well for this.
Clean everything thouroughly!
Besides gaskets, you will need to inspect the bore/plating and overall dimensions. This requires some specialized micrometers and is best done by a reputable mechanic.
Once you have the dimensions and plating inspection, you can order parts. Being an 2001, your cylinder may need to be bored and replated. If you do not have a manual, order it now.
Reassemble per the manual and break in. Work time will likely be several hours your first time. Other work will be dictated by the inspection and ordering parts will likely be several weeks.
BTW, if a top-end has not been performed on the bike before, a bore a replating is almost assured. Failure of a piston skirt can cause catastrophic engine failure and be MUCH more expensive to repair. Don't put this off!

truckster225

Jun 11, 2009
And never reuse ANY little clips, or gaskets. Once you remove the piston, that little C-clip cant go back in! There like 2 bucks! Its just not worth NOT replacing all the little parts. It will save you some serious problems down the line.

I only say this cuz I re-used that little damm clip the first time I did a top-end. RUINED the engine, completely.

And I agree with BSWIFT, get the manual, it will make a world of difference!

Good luck!!

brentn

Aug 7, 2009
There is an awesome video on youtube by rockymountainatv that shows you how top end work is done.
They don't go into the real details, but they show you how to do it.

watch?v=-FFIWtqU5Zc&feature=channel_page

Combine that with the advice your going to get here and you'll be set.

I can't post links so your going to have to add the last bit of the link above to a youtube URL

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom