FoxRocks

Apr 9, 2006
Hi everyone,
I am having some problems deciding what to do. Currently I ride a 99 CR125. On the track I find I'm always hunting for the right gear, most of all because I need say 4th to make the jump, but I'm coming out of the turn in 3rd, so by the time I get it into 4th I'm out of steam. I just don't know if my problem is lack of power (so I would have to shift less?) or my lack of skill. I'm always shifting gears it seems way more then anyone else. I also wonder if the answer would be to go to a four stroke to have a more consistant power band. I guess I really just need to know when it's time to up the ride, or if anyone has been in my shoes and can give me some insight.

Thanks everyone.

FOX

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
i guess i don't really understand what it is that you mean when you say that you are "out of steam" by the time you get into 4th....?

FoxRocks

Apr 9, 2006
What i meant by that was i don't have enough power when I shift it into 4th gear...mostly because the bike isn't ready for 4th gear yet, but i need 4th to make the jump. That's kinda why I was thinking with a CR250 it would have more power on the bottom end of the gear, and therefore I could come out of the turn in 3rd and shift into 4th but actually have power.

Sorry to sound confusing :)

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
A 4 stroke or an overbore would certainly help with that situation, but short of serious mods or buying a new bike, you're gonna have to learn to use that clutch to get the revs up.

Even with an overbore you'd still have to fan the clutch.

FoxRocks

Apr 9, 2006
There is no question I need to get better with my turns...maybe I'll work more on them and then figure out where I need to go. Buying a new bike isn't out of the question, that's actually what made me start this thread, to see if maybe it was time to move up to a bigger (or different) bike.

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
well just because you can't make a jump isn't reason to change bikes. try hitting it at the top of third. if you're not ready for 4th when you shift, you're probably shifting too early....just get into the power in third and ride it off the jump. simple as that. how can you know that you need 4th if you can't even make it to fourth?

FoxRocks

Apr 9, 2006
xr100ider said:
.. try hitting it at the top of third. if you're not ready for 4th when you shift, you're probably shifting too early

you know...now that i think of it maybe that's my problem, my shifting Is VeRy WeAk so that would affect my powerband. When I hold it open it kinda revs funny, cuts out on and off.

....just get into the power in third and ride it off the jump. simple as that. how can you know that you need 4th if you can't even make it to fourth?

mostly because I don't have enough speed by the time I hit the jump to make it, and with it revving funny...

~FOX~

Top Bottom