Tire Balls

layoutd

May 17, 2004
Anyone ever use them, seen them on a bike? seems odd. do they not add a lot of extra rotational weight to the wheels? i know that is bad for a mtn bike, is it bad for a motorcycle? is there a lot of maintenance? :think:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Never used them but read about them. Adds less weight than a bib mousse foam insert, which is what most off-road pros use to avoid flats. Also supposed to be a bit easier to change tires, though will still be a pain compared to a tube.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I think Dirt Rider did a write up on them, but I can't find it on-line. From what I remember the benefits are that they don't feel "dead" like a tube and you can have a puncture, or a few punctures and you still have the rest of the balls inflated. I think it was fairly expensive ($100+) and they had a special mounting fixture.

If you absolutely cannot afford to have a flat, the inserts or the balls would make sense, but otherwise an ultra-heavy-duty tube works well. I haven't been able to flatten one yet.

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I looked at the Tire Balls stuff at a GNCC race last spring. Neat idea, and it looks like it works well, but unless I was racing for a living I don't feel I can justify the cost ($260/tire) and the pain in the backside from changing a tire with them. I might feel differently though if I drove 1200 miles just to race with the big dogs and I got a race-ending flat on the first lap - especially if I ruined a wheel trying to get back to civilization.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I find it hard to beat HD tubes...I add slime if I'm riding a thorny area and the stuff really does work.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
You made that up didn't you Louis! :laugh:

There's a product for anything if you got the money and want to spend it. It doesn't mean you need it... but it's there! :)

I think these were made for EXTREME situations for sure....

Last edited:

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Very interesting. I had never heard of tire balls before. Thanks for the link KiwiBird.

At US$260, I'd hate to think what you're paying for them in NZ

louis

Sep 2, 2002
I am serious about the tenis balls. This has been done before. I have been working on this for a while. I'll let you know.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Who makes REALLY heavy duty tubes?

Well bib mousse doesn't last, and tire balls are great if you can afford them...
Who makes the best heavy duty tubes?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…