cheapo

Mar 10, 2003
I am currently running Bridgestone M77 front and Dunlop 756 rear. I race Hare Scrambles in the NE (NJ, PA, DE) with everthing from rock/roots to sand. Most of my riding these days is in rocks and hard pack...all woods, rarely motocross tracks. It seems my front tires are washing out too much. I admit, I haven't paid enough attention to tire pressures as I should, so I'm sure that doesn't help. Obviously I don't think I can get a perfect tire to handle everything from rock to sand, but looking for what people have had good luck with. Thanks.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Asking tires is like asking oil preferences.

But I have been using the Maxxis 6001 tires for all around everything from mud, sand, rock, loam and dirt track. They work really well, last a long time and are cheap through RockyMountainMC.com

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Well, judging by your name, I think that you would be very happy with the Maxis IT tires @ $40 front or rear.

BTW, are we neighbors? I'm in Franklin Township.

cheapo

Mar 10, 2003
RV6Junkie, I'm in Washington Twp off of Rt 31, just over the warren/hunterdon county line. Sounds like we may be close. any good riding spots around you?

despite my cheapo name, I am willing to pay a little more for a good set of tires. you get what you pay for right?

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Despite the price the Maxis tires are a very good tire.

Do you live on that street right behind the Hampton Park? I think its called Bryants Road? My cousin lives on that road.

We travel a lot to ride (Paragon, Rousch Creek and some others) but I have a track behind my home. Do you have a trailer?

cheapo

Mar 10, 2003
I live on Asbury-Anderson Rd..heading Rt 31 north, make right at A&P/McDonalds. 2 miles from there. I have a pickup truck and throw the bike in there.
My buddy and I used to ride a lot down in Chatsworth, but they lost a lot of land and got too crowed. Now we head up to Tower City area. If you have a closer track and are looking for 2 riding buddies, let me know.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Put a maxxis, S12 or bridgerock on....don't pay attention to tire pressure...and it won't really matter a whole lot.

I do pay attention to tire pressure...and the m77 I tried was definitely a one-time only tire. I'd never buy another one.

Last edited:

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
What is everyone's general thinking on tire pressure? 12 -15 sound about right? I know there are numerour other variables, but is that a good starting point for general woods riding.?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Personal preferences vary. There's a huge difference between 12 and 15. 12 is pretty much a hi for me..and I go down from there depending on conditions.

15 is way too skittery for me, brand new or a bit rounded off.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Cheapo, PM me. We live less than 1 mile from each other!

marksharp, I run 12 on dirt and 18 on hard rocks to keep the rims from bending.

bh

Nov 26, 2001
I've got Biridgestones on my bike a M401 on the front and a M402 on the rear hooks up great almost anywhere and wears like iron.

Eview326

Jul 7, 2003
chepao and rv6junkie i live in hackettstown also in warren county and me and my friends ride the tracks alot, have you guys ever heard of a place call e pyronix? its right off of the tracks near rockport road

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I have ridden the tracks you are talking about buy I enter in Washington. The better tracks, right up the road from you, are in Greendell. The problem with rr tracks is that they get boring real fast. I'm told there there are some good trails off the tracks but I haven't found any yet.

Eview326

Jul 7, 2003
we usually ride the tracks from hackettstown to washington and around there. there are some pretty good trails off the tracks in hackettstown on the mountain. and past hackettstown there are some good trails off the tracks

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
We'll have to get together and ride one day. I'd like to find those trails.

cheapo

Mar 10, 2003
RV6Junkie, I am trying to PM you, but can't do so. not sure if it is my ineptness or website won't let me do so (most likely the former). I am told I don't have access to PM. sorry to clog the forum with useless info, but can how do I do so?

Top Bottom