Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
What I'm looking for is an aggressive tread, but more importantly, something that will last longer than average. I ride a mix of terrain, soft silt, rocky terrain, mud and hard pak. I know I can't get a tire that performs best under all conditions.

Has anyone used a rear tire that you thought ran ok, but lasted considerably longer than the others? Tirerack.com has what I consider to be a good rating system for the tires they sell, but I haven't been able to find any comparisons like that for motorcycle tires.

Also any links that you think are worthy.

Thanks,

Joe Chief

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Joe,
There have been several threads on tires in the product review forum but to cut to the skinny, I find the Mischelin (sp) S12 for the rear and either the M12 or Dunlop 756 for the front. The S12 wears like iron.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Thanks RM_GUY,

I justed searched the posts and you are right. There are a ton of them. Looks like I'll go w/ the m12 or s12. Also, I think that is the company whose tires are sized smaller than most. Maybe if I just order stock, I will get a slightly smaller tire, which I would like to try.

Joe Chief

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
The tire that has lasted the LONGEST, with the most traction I've ever had, was the IRC M5B. Some people around here won't like it because it's not a Dunlop or Michelin but you won't know until you try it. It is also a little cheaper.

IRC M5B, it's a fine tire.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I like the 752 rear and 755 front. I haven't tried the 756, but I will when I need one. I think I read that the 752 is discontinued.

derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
752 rear has lasted longer than anything else I've used. I will be trying the M12's or S12's next as I have heard good things about them. What do people prefer as far as the Michilens?

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
When they say the S12 wears like iron, they mean it. My S12, has some serious nicks in the the right side knobs after only 2 rides. But, I kept hearing this strange sound when landing on the big jumps. I kept checking the forks and shock. Couldn't find anything wrong. Finally noticed the nicks, and realized my clamp on spark arrestor had turned on the silencer and on big jumps the one row of knobs was hitting it. It looks like it was beat with a hammer. The spark arrestor is definitly in worse shape from the experience than the tire is.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by RM_guy
The S12 wears like iron.
Not in rocks!

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
RM_Guy,

I'm gonna give the s12 a shot now that I found a sizing chart. Are these tires the same size as oem? Table says for me to use a 130/70-19 to replace the 110/90-19. How does yours fit?

Also, I'm considering going with the next smallest size to help in turning. I get too much bite when I spin the bike around, but maybe this change won't amount to much. The size would be 120/80-19. I don't even know how it would fit the rim, but might have a better idea after I talk to michelin.

Thanks Everyone for the Replies.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Dave,

I recommended the S-12 to you and it's probably okay in those pebbles you call rocks ;), but an S-12 chunks bad in New England rocks. A lot of the NETRA regulars are running Pirelli's and IRC's that don't seem to be as prone to chunking in the rocks. The S-12 may provide better traction in mud and sand, but once the knobs start to chunk, kiss traction goodbye. Don't ever trying turning one around, their uni-directional and wear twice as fast in the opposite direction.

Chief - I'm not knocking the S-12, but it's better to find out what some of the local hotshoes are running for tires. Also ask them why they run that particular tire.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
i don't believe people are saying the S12 rear 'wears like iron'. on steep, rocky hills, the knobs get shredded easily, and will lose their edge after a few rides in these conditions. It not uncommon for the 426 riders to rip a few knobs off in these conditions.
Just about all soft terrain tires wear out quickly in these condtions. I use the M12 rear, and like it alot. I also want to try the H12 soon, but i keep going back to the M12.
I once tried a 739, and the thing lost its edge after a few good hills! the longest lasting tire ive ever used is the trackmaster (cheap too) and it gripped really good for its price, in my conditions.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Chief,
The 130/70-19 is what I use and it fits the same as the 110/90-19. Do you plan on track riding or lots of gnarly single track stuff? I ride mostly tracks with the occasional trek through the woods and the S12 works good. The when the knobs do get rounded it still has decent traction, better than the 752. WoodsRider loves to ride in the nastiest crap and he is probably right about the chuncking in the real rocky stuff but I try to avoid it.

As far as a smaller tire, I’d use the stock size and work on your body position and clutch/throttle control to keep the rear end under control.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I ran an s12 till a race in Arkansas. It didn't survive the rocks. Chuncked up pretty bad.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Has anyone else ever tried the IRC M5B? I have had so much good luck with it.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Mike T,

I considered that tire, but I'm not sure they make it in the size I'm looking for. I'll still keep an eye out.

Thanks All!!!

Joe Chief

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
They do make a 110/90-19 if that's what you're looking for.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
The IRC M5B is fantastic traction-wise. However, I'd say its wear in rocks is just average or slightly better than average. Amazing hook-up though.

For price and wear the IRC VE33 rear is probably the king. The Kenda TrakMaster rear also performs pretty well in my opinion considering how inexpensive it is. Both are very easy on the wallet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom