Tire/tube changing question

dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
I'm not very good at it but I got the tube and tire on. I have a question before I put air in to set the bead. The tire is kinda raised higher where the rim lock is because its sittin on top of the rubber piece. The tire is not underneath the the rim lock. Once I put 50-60 lbs in, will that cause it to press down and get lined up correctly? Hope this question makes sense.

Crispie0

May 2, 2002
You have to get the tire under the rim lock. When I changed my tires last year I vaguely remembering that to be the toughest part of the job.

K220

Jul 7, 2003
Just changed out both tires on my bike a couple of weeks ago. Here is what I did.
Loosen the nut on the rim lock as far as possible.
Place tire spoons on opposite side of the rim lock aprox 3 inches out, as you pry up on the tire, push upward on the rim lock stem, then release the pressure off of the tire spoons. If all work well, the tire bead will settle onto the rim, permitting the rim lock to rest onto of the inside of the tire itself.
You will need to perform this process on the opposite side of the wheel.
Tighten the rimlock, all up the tire to 60 plus pounds to ensure tire bead seats.
Afterwards, set tire pressure to your needs.

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
KawaRider has it prettymuch dialed in. I like to set the rimlock section as soon as I get enough of the bead in, but make sure the rimlock is not opposite of the section that you finish with. You need to push the bead into the drop-center with your knee before setting the opposite and final section into the rim. Also, inflate the tube just untill it holds it's shape, this will help to prevent snakebite puntures while you are working the tire onto the rim.
-Nick

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
Yup- I forgot that part. Talcum powder works too. Mix some liquid soap with some water in a spray bottle, soak your bead with it. Also, take off that rubber strip that covers the spoke nipples and replace it with a coat or two of duct tape. This will help keep mud, dirt and moisture from siezing up your spoke threads.
-Nick

Top Bottom