Tires and some other things for my bike

04kdxchris

Aug 26, 2004
This summer I figure i should dump some money into my bike while i have money. I figure I'll do tires front and back. On the front is the stock tire and to say the least its lacking in performance. On the back I put an IRC on and I love it for the mud and its alright on everything else. I think I want to stick with the IRC but if anyone has any other sugestions please share. Whats a good front tire for these bikes. Where i ride theres a lot of rock.

Also I want to do a top end on it. I figure its been 2 years so it cant hurt to do it. What piston kit should I get? I figure weisico but theres a few others out there and was wondering if theyre any good. Also I want to send my carb out to RB carb to get it bored out and such. Has anyone got that done and how do you like it? I want to leave the stock exhaust on because its so quiet. I like havin a quiet bike. I also want to get my forks rebuilt and sprung for my weight. If the funds allow I'll send my shock out too. Is there anything else that I should do well the bike is out of service?

Thanks for readin

Chris

Trimmer

May 21, 2006
Chris, I'm running a Bridgestone M59 (soft-interm.) on the back and it has surprisingly worn pretty well in the rocky conditions. I have an IRC on the front and it has barely any signs of wear after 10hrs in the same conditions.

I don't know where in NJ you are, but I can highly recommend a person for your suspension work if you need it.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I run Pro-X pistons in my KDX and KX and have been very happy with them.

For tires, I'm on hard-pack and have been pretty happy with the Kenda Carlsbad in the rear. I ran the IRC VE-40 and it was alright, but chunked off quickly. The Carlsbad lasted about 8 months of riding, never chunked, and was still giving me pretty good traction when I replaced it with a Maxxis IT for a race. The Maxxis was very mediocre for me and I'll replace it with another Carlsbad or a Millville later this summer. I've got a Carlsbad on my KX but haven't ridden on it yet.

Up front, I have an IRV VE-39 (?) on the KDX and it's okay. I ran a Dunlop K490 prior to that. No real complaints either way- the bike turns and sticks. I'm more of a "rear wheel" rider, anyway.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
I'm in North Jersey (Sussex county) and I've been running Dunlop 739 rear and a 742 front and it seems to be a great combo for all conditions and terrain. Wiesco on the piston kit. But dude it's summer though so throw the tires on put some gas in the thing and ride hard. Do the rest of the work this winter! Have fun with it.

04kdxchris

Aug 26, 2004
Im in passaic county which is north jersey but not quite as far north as sussex. Where about in sussex is stockholm? Theres some good riding up in vernon and west milford if you dont get caught. Thanks for the suggestions and any help with who to send my suspension would be nice.

Thanks
Chris

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Stockholm is between West Milford and Vernon.
This cat Jay Rapp is real good with suspension
973-696-6127 or WER (they are gods with suspension.)
but take a couple weeks on the return. Good luck with it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…