RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
How efficient does everyone think they would be? IMO, they would be awesome in 2 strokes, giving more piston life. Titanium also has an awesome weight to strength ratio, and it is slightly stronger than steel (not sure about forged steel though). The bad side about titanium pistons would be low expansion rate, and definitely the cost. Anyways, how come wiseco or jp pistons, etc., have not created one of these things yet? Would it be to hard to machine? Or is there an even better metal/ material to create something like this?

EDIT: could titanium coated pistons work? It would probably cut half the price of it too.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I could be way wrong here but I would think a Ti piston would be about 500 bucks or more. Just 1 intake valve for my bike was 90 dollars and it's really small.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
_JOE_ said:
I could be way wrong here but I would think a Ti piston would be about 500 bucks or more. Just 1 intake valve for my bike was 90 dollars and it's really small.
some people have more dollars than sense. Someone will build one, and someone will buy one.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
_JOE_ said:

You're probably right. But it could last longer. What do you think about coating Ti on a regular forged piston? Would expansion of the regular forged piston screw with the coating of Ti?

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
That's a neat article gomer. I wish a big name in pistons, such as wiseco, to create such a piston as described in that article.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
RM85rider123 said:
That's a neat article gomer. I wish a big name in pistons, such as wiseco, to create such a piston as described in that article.
Step up and make your own. Best way to learn. :)

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
XRpredator said:
Step up and make your own. Best way to learn. :)

honestly, I was thinking about doing that, but I don't know how to melt the titanium (with a melting point of 3100F), and coat it on the piston. I would accept any tips though :). Who knows, maybe I could get a heck of a lotta money off of this idea :laugh:. Does anyone know how to coat it onto the piston though? Maybe through air pressure?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Still wondering what exactly the purpose would be as it relates to a dirt bike. If you want to see what is THE leading edge of engine design look to F1 because much of what we see today started there. Ti valves, thin film ceramic coatings, skirtless (or very short skirt) pistons.....

I would be more inclined to see what could be done with ceramics or composite pistons if you really want to go out on the edge go way out.

There are worse things you could be interested in right now so do some research, Google the heck out of ideas and read up. Then we expect a full essay on what you learned by this time next week :)

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
Patman said:
Still wondering what exactly the purpose would be as it relates to a dirt bike. If you want to see what is THE leading edge of engine design look to F1 because much of what we see today started there. Ti valves, thin film ceramic coatings, skirtless (or very short skirt) pistons.....

I would be more inclined to see what could be done with ceramics or composite pistons if you really want to go out on the edge go way out.

There are worse things you could be interested in right now so do some research, Google the heck out of ideas and read up. Then we expect a full essay on what you learned by this time next week :)

ceramics sound pretty cool. :) . I think i'll do a little research on this topic and other topics right now ;)
-you want an essay ehh? Then an essay you'll have. :nod:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I think having a piston that is harder than the cylinder is a bad idea in general. You'd want the piston to wear BEFORE the cylinder, no? Rather than replacing a piston every so many hours you'll be replacing the cylinder and keeping the piston, lol. Best figure out a TI plating for the cylinder as well, then you may have something....

J.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
julien_d said:
I think having a piston that is harder than the cylinder is a bad idea in general. You'd want the piston to wear BEFORE the cylinder, no? Rather than replacing a piston every so many hours you'll be replacing the cylinder and keeping the piston, lol. Best figure out a TI plating for the cylinder as well, then you may have something....

J.

good idea. thanks. ;). But as patman said, ceramics or composite pistons would be a very good idea, and I agree too. Ti should work too though, it'll just take work. Ti plating for the cylinder walls could work, but there has to be an easier and cheaper alternative out there, or in the end the nikasil plating just might work.

P.S.- I could be wrong, but nikasil does not expand, and with titanium having slight expansion, could probably cause seizure with a Ti piston

I bet this could work-http://www.keronite.com/properties.asp
-it is as light as aluminum, but as strong as steel.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The piston should have enough room for slight expansion differences because the rings are what ride on the cylinder wall... well on a thin film of oil.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
forget titanium. It's old hat. So yesterday.

the metal of the future is Chucktanium.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Chucktanium is so 2007 the new metal isn't metal.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You guys are onto something here. A chucktanium piston matched up with a custom powerband would sure be a strong motor. You would probly need a stronger chain though.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
SteveinSpringHill said:
Nascar experimented with titanium pistons and rods over 10 years ago. It didn't play well with others (metals).
Ti rods are very common-place, these days. Kind of like Ti valves; readily available, but requiring some special care & consideration. Not for everyone.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Patman said:
Chucktanium is so 2007 the new metal isn't metal.
Yes I heard from Eric Gorr last week that they are experimenting with pistons and rings made of unobtainium. He said the weight to strength ratio is unbelievable and they would last even a pro level rider seasons not hours

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
oldguy said:
Yes I heard from Eric Gorr last week that they are experimenting with pistons and rings made of unobtainium.

I thought it was Illudium Q-36?

:coocoo:

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
oldguy said:
Yes I heard from Eric Gorr last week that they are experimenting with pistons and rings made of unobtainium. He said the weight to strength ratio is unbelievable and they would last even a pro level rider seasons not hours

Its not as good as ultrabendanium-hightemp-ultraconducthardium :laugh:

Last edited:

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
A composite cylinder with a coating or sleeve for the bore. Composite piston and ti rod. Direct injection would be appreciated also.

That's what I was thinking, besides the Ti rod. Fuel injection would also make it more fuel efficient.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom