yaaamaha112

May 28, 2012
Hi,

I have heard that people will disable the auto lube system in older bikes because of the fear of it failing and the engine seizing up. I wanted to get the advice/experience you all may have with this, what the pros and cons are of disabling it are.

And if you keep it what are the best oils to run in an vintage bike auto lube system? To help against white smoke?

Thank you

Last edited:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Some bikes you can do this to and lots of people do. HOWEVER, on some bikes, the main bearings are lubed directly by the auto lube, and might not get pre-mix through the lower end. I did it years ago on a Yamaha mini-enduro and had no problems. Also, most properly serviced and working auto-lube systems are quite good. What bike is it in particular you are asking about?? That is a very important question.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
2strokerfun is right. Some engines were designed for the auto-lube function in that when removed the main bearings seized from zero lubrication. Mixing in the tank won't work. You need to research your engine to find out how it works. Best bet is to leave it on and run stock. Also variable ratio oilers (VRO) don't not run a set ratio like mixed.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom