EYY

May 22, 2010
I don't think anybody said that using a scotch brite pad would have any effect on the coating itself at all. But doing this DOES remove the glazing which may prevent a new piston and rings from sealing as well as possible.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
EYY said:
I don't think anybody said that using a scotch brite pad would have any effect on the coating itself at all. But doing this DOES remove the glazing which may prevent a new piston and rings from sealing as well as possible.
You may be thinking in pottery terms.
Glazing is not a "something", it is a "condition". Do you know how/why honing works, and when it is needed?

Bottom line: This is another vote for "do not hone nicasil plated cylinders."
Rings designed to run in plated cylinders do not need a honed surface.

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
EYY said:

Cleaning isn't honing.

EYY

May 22, 2010
mudpack said:
You may be thinking in pottery terms.
Glazing is not a "something", it is a "condition". Do you know how/why honing works, and when it is needed?

Yes i do understand how honing works thanks mate. I never mentioned honing in my post, and was referring to using the scotch brite pad. I would never think of touching a plated cylinder with a hone.

Top Bottom