To twitch...or not to twitch.That is the question.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
What do you think? kdx220 steering seems twitchy on hard pack surfaces. will the fork spring upgrade reduce the feeling that the front end wants to wash out? bike feels much more stable in sand or loose gravel riding. the steering just seems to need more resistance to turning. any ideas that do not require a $ 300-500 steering damper? am I just being a cry baby? I want to go faster, but I just don't trust that the front end will stay straight if I ride over roots,rocks etc.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
The stock front spring is way soft on the KDX so it has a lot of weight transfer and the steering head angle gets steeper as the fork compresses. So it turns great but is not very stable. It needs heavier springs, this link will help as well as the KDX forum here at DRN http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ I think my springs cost around 40 bucks? They help a lot! Make sure your rear preload is set properly as well too much will make the front twitch more.

OK I had to look it up, the springs were $70.00 FRP has everything you need and good prices too

http://www.frpoffroad.com/

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
...yeah poss. heavier frt springs, and race tech gold valves, and you can fly over rocks, roots, whatever without any worries that the frontend is gonna washout....you will go alot faster....I sent my forks/shock to frp, and he did a good job....good luck with it.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
bearings are in good shape. running a pirelli mt44 front tire,about 80% tread left. anybody got any opinions on that tire on hard terrain? running 12 psi, too high? if I decrease my rear sag from 100mm to something less, will that put more weight on the front and make the stearing effort increase a little? should I raise the forks up in the triple clamps? As you can tell, I don't have a clue. I am trying to adjust things so the steering will require MORE effort to turn, and not want to dart sideways as much. sand and soft performance is currently great...hard terrain is a little iffy feeling. thanks for the replies.

Top Bottom