Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
At about 7:30 my friend gives me a call and asks if I want to go riding, after a hell ya and some last second planning we’re on the road, 3 bikes and 2 quads. We get to the pit and ride around for a while. On of the quads is having problems with his band new quad, so he takes off to get tit fixed. The rest of us decide to ride to another riding area to play around some. And with that we ride off to Fortuna to play with some jumps, (I’m not a jumper at all, but it can be fun) and some great open desert riding. While we’re out there we see this guy on a KX500 going flying by us about three times. After riding around some more we head back to the pit. The cool thing about the way between the two riding areas is that you have a trail that is nice and fast and feels like woods riding with the trees around you, a fun thing to ride though in the middle of the desert. But while flying down this road I get a feeling that some one is going to brake an arm of something, I shake that off and keep on tuckn’ along. My friend in front of me doubles back and I follow him around a fenced in area and head down another trail. After a bit we notice that out third friend on a bike in no longer behind us, so we back tack to find him. As I roll up a small hill right before the fenced in area I see my two friends’ bikes one is laying in the sand and the other is propped up with the back tire and the two of them are looking at each other. So I think to my self that they bumped into each other. As I roll up the hill I see a third bike sitting upside down stuck in the sand… :think: I'm wonering top me self where did *that* come from? I go up the hill abit more and see the limp body of the guy we had seen earlier riding the KX. :eek: The firs thing that pops into my head is “holy @%*($#@ is he dead?” I bail off my bike with it still running, and slide down the hill to find that he is breathing (thank god :yeehaw: ) his just starting to come though, and I start talking to him to see how coherent he is. He tells me his name and that he can feel his toes (things are looking up) we carefully take his helmet off (in retrospect that was a bad idea on my part) but tell him not to move his body. I tell him he’s going to be all right and it doesn’t look all that bad (I’m totally BSing him; his knee looks like it ripped out of the socket and his upper leg is almost certainly broken, but I’m not about to tell him that :ugg: ) we send the one guys off to get his cell phone, and another and to flag down the EMTs when they arrive. The injured rider then tells us he has a cell phone in his pants. I get it out for him and call 911, and he tells me the streets around us to help out on the directions. After relying the info and waiting for 15 minuets and hearing the ambulances pass buy us and keep on going, it’s the that we realize that we’re two streets east of where we’re at. With that friend #3 heads off to flag down the EMTs. So I’m alone with him, and I’m trying to make some small talk to keep him talking. We talk about riding and how he was trying to find us so he’d have some one to ride with. He tells me about his son, and how he totaled an older KX500 riding by him self and crashing it. He says he was riding alone because he didn’t have any one else to ride with. I also find out that he’s very high up at the local Police Department, and has riding for 30+ years. He also tells me what happened, as he was catching up to us, he forget that the fence that he ran into was there. He saw it, but was going too fast and slammed into it. A Cop shows up in a truck and the two of the work with each other. The injured rider asked to us to make sure that his bike gets back to his house, and the Cop says he know where he lives and will take the bike back in the truck for him. (I’m going to call in two days to confirm this) as the EMTs show up we give out statements and are on out way.

Some impotent things learned;

#1 NEVER RIDE ALONE!!!! He was very lucky that we showed with in 10 mins of him crashing, God only knows how long he would have been there.

#2 A cell phone does you no good if you don’t hive it with you. He had his on him. And it was impotent to know that he had it on him, we could have called the EMTS 5 minuets earlier if we would have known. We talked it over and we take a cell phone with us and will mark the helmet of who ever has it with where the phone is on his body.

#3 He had all of his gear on, helmet, boots, riding pants etc... etc... and he still tore his leg up really bad. This is a fun sport, be a dangerous one.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Don't ride alone. Very sound advice. With DRN, everyone should be able to find a buddy to ride with. Hope things turn out alright for him.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Seeing something like that makes me ready to load up and go to the house! :( Good idea with the cell phone info on the helmet. Although DRN is a great site and apparently alot of people meet riding buddies on here, I only know one other DRN member and he lives 60 miles away. I like to ride MX on occasion and have trouble finding people to ride MX with so I've gone back to the woods for that very reason. :think:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
nothing like seeing a serious injury to make for a somber ride. one sunday at a local riding area we had something like that happen. it was a beautiful day and it was crowded. there was a dirt road that ran along the bottom of a dam on the backside. under that road was a 8 ft pipe used for overflow. it dumped into a creek that was lined with big rocks to prevent washout. well this guy came up on someone on that road and why he thought he could go "around" him off the road is still the question of the day. needless to say he took a twenty foot drop into the creek and landed on these rocks. despite the best efforts of an emergency room nurse and an emt who saw the accident, the rider died.

it was like someone popped a ballon at a kids birthday party. the place got real quiet and everybody loaded up. must of been 3-400 people. parents were hugging their kids as they were trying to expain what happened. the sobering moment was the waving off of the careflite and seeing to coroner van headed to the accident site.

im sure everybody was thinking if this sport was "worth" it on the way home. i know i was. my kids saw the whole thing. i havent quit riding but every time something "bad" happens it leaves a bad taste and i dont feel like riding.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
One of the guys I was riding with got hold of Matt (the rider we found) and found out what all happened to him. He broke his hand, and 3 ribs, fractured 2 more ribs, and his right femur in 15 places :eek: and collapsed both lungs, but he's going to be fine, and odds are he’ll ride again :yeehaw:

Top Bottom