trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
If I'd ride as well as I have the capability of making a fool of myself, RC would be on the second page today :laugh: Friends know me as a strong arguer, usually controversial also. I've always defended my points even if sometimes it would've been better to shut up. Occasions like this have occurred frequently on this forum. I guess it's part of my faults! So yes, I am making a fool of myself probably. But when I lose, I like people to explain why I lost just like when I ride, I like when local pros give me tips and points to improve. There is a huge misunderstanding here and I'd like to know why it has ruffled so much feathers. If I insulted any women here, please be aware that it wasn't my intent, FAR from being my intent.

I do most of my work on the computer. Switching from homework to DRN for a couple of minutes keeps me motivated. If my number of posts cause a problem (and please be honest here), I shall try and restrain them.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I don't mind Trial's posts. And I'm a woman and I have seen the Dove commercials. I've read all the "male" PERCEPTIONS of this post as well. At first, I thought he was way off base. His last post changed my mind.

I just want to make sure everyone in this thread understands the message of the Dove commercial? Afterall...it is targeted at me and women my age.

Last edited:

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Here is my point. The target market for that commercial is 35-65, female, average income, has kids, and wants to feel young again. If that is your definition of typical woman than you are spot on.

But, you should know that no matter what the message is, advertising is a lie and this is no exception. Dove is sending the message that these fashion models require 4-hours or make-up and 10-15 hours of retouching to make them "beautiful" as defined by today's society and Dove believes beauty is within, that you should be happy with who you are and not strive to look like a cover model. While I agree with the later part of the message, I will say this, I have been professionally retouching images for many years and never seen a trainwreck of a job like that. Yes retouching to that extent can and has been done, usually for shock value like the commercial portrayed. Normally models are choosen that do not require that kind of retouching. So the message is a bit BS by saying "nobody really looks this good" Unfortunately that is the part of the ad that is the most powerful and it is a lie based on shock value. Why did they not just say "be happy with who you are"? Because it does not sell as much tickets as the train wreck does.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks Nat!
trial_07 said:
As if beautiful girls don't exist :coocoo:
I completely agree with you Thump. You put in words what I was thinking!

IndyYZ85 said:
But he keeps diggin that hole...
I'm starting to see light down there Indy :cool: Is it China? Or I am climbing back up?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Trial, is English really a second language for you? I ask because your English is better than 98% of the Americans I know.

I don't think anyone really has as much of a problem with what you post as how much of it you post. I caused a similar reaction when I first came here... "Who is this goof and will he ever shut up?"

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
High Lord Gomer said:
Trial, is English really a second language for you? I ask because your English is better than 98% of the Americans I know.

Yes, English is a second language for me. It's not a problem with the language itself, but the expressions you use sometimes. Those expressions were not taught at school unfortunately. I don't speak the language very much since I live in a very French community. I like coming down to the states though :) My tongue feels swollen the first two days :laugh:

High Lord Gomer said:
I don't think anyone really has as much of a problem with what you post as how much of it you post. I caused a similar reaction when I first came here... "Who is this goof and will he ever shut up?"
Yeah, I guess I do have DRN at heart! I like it here...that's all there is to say :nod: Even though Okie hates me :nener:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Yeah! I'm just a name amoung hundreds of others.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Add a zero to hundreds :laugh:

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
XRpredator said:
a few things I've learned about women:
  • If she says "do these pants make my butt look big?" always say "no", even if it looks like a couple raccoons fighting in a burlap bag
  • If she says "How do I look?" I always quote Eric Clapton and say "My darling, you look wonderful tonight"
  • and, on a different note, never, EVER compare her cookies or her gravy to your mother's. That's when she'll say "well, I guess you can just move back in with your mom, then"
in case you cared.

Good boy Pred!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
progirlz said:
Wow, that was quite interesting. I reposted it on 2 other forums. I think this is a must see for all. Thank you.

You're welcome!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
define "big"? "Big" compared to what? A pair of McDonalds cheeseburger buns side by side? A '73 Buick Electra 225 Limited? So once we get that established (not that we ever will) there's the next part..."LOOK" big...so how big it is doesn't matter, as long as the perception is that it is not "big"? Am I overanalyzing here?

One of the reasons women wear makeup is that other women wear makeup, and they of course are compared to those other women. Think what a different society we would have if somehow all of a sudden all women would stop wearing makeup...think of all the extra hours of free time, extra money not spent on it, possibly better health. But then there would inevitably be the cheaters with their bootleg makeup...

Do I like the way my wife looks when she wears makeup? I won't lie...yes I do.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom