colochris

Jul 24, 2003
I have been looking for a first bike, but alot of cheap bikes like 1600.00 or less are from like 91-94 depending on the brand. I have been looking at a 93 kawasaki, it has 6 gears though and I do not know if the more gears are good or bad?? Anyways back to my original question.. I want a bike that I can wreck and not feel too bad and a bike that at the same time if I get better that I can compete with. Do the older bikes have aftermarket parts??? Like if get a 93 or 94 bike can I put a aftermarket pieceof today on something like that??? thanks for all of the help

colochris

p.s. will I look stupid if I go to a track with an older bike??

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by colochris
I have been looking for a first bike, but alot of cheap bikes like 1600.00 or less are from like 91-94 depending on the brand. I have been looking at a 93 kawasaki, it has 6 gears though and I do not know if the more gears are good or bad?? Anyways back to my original question.. I want a bike that I can wreck and not feel too bad and a bike that at the same time if I get better that I can compete with. Do the older bikes have aftermarket parts??? Like if get a 93 or 94 bike can I put a aftermarket pieceof today on something like that??? thanks for all of the help

colochris

p.s. will I look stupid if I go to a track with an older bike??

What Kawasaki? 6 Gears doesent neccisarily mean that its any faster or slower, but the gears are just distributed into 6 gears. In most cases, faster bikes and MX bikes are 6 gears..

with any 90-94' model, you shouldnt have too hard of a time finding aftermarket parts.

Just be careful with the bike. Dont try anything crazy with it when learning, and just take it easy. Everyone takes a few spills, and as long as your not doing anything too extreme, I can't see any decent minded rider wrecking his or her bike too badly.

And no ;) I see tons of people that bring old quads and dirtbikes to the tracks. You will deffinetly not look stupid. Trust me :)

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
I got back into it about 3 years ago on a 1992 CR 250. I pretty much rebuilt the thing form the ground up over the last three years. I had no probs finding any after market stuff....or stock parts for that matter. As far as the gears go, I wouldn't concern myself with that. Try to find something that has been well maintained. Also, what size are you considering? Is this your first motorcycle of any kind?

As far as looking stupid on an older machine......just wait till you pass a guy or holeshot the field on an old machine!! ;) I think a lot of guys marvel at an older bike that runs well.

colochris

Jul 24, 2003
im looking for a 125 or 250 dirt bike. I have looked on ebay but its hard to find shipping rates. I just get scared when I sit on a bike. I think that how am I going to get me and this bike in the air off of a jump??? Im going to kill myself I think. Is this normal for newbys??

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
For a first bike, I wouldn't think a 250 MXer is a good idea. Maybe a KDX200 would be better. Not pipey like a 125, but more mellow than an MX 250. Light weight, easy to start. In '96 they changed the design. Early 90's models can be had on the cheap. Decent parts availability for an older bike.

And if you aren't real familiar with mechanical items, buying a bike on Ebay could be risky. You may want to buy local so that you can take a long a second set of eyes to check the bike out.

Top Bottom