sportbiker

Jun 8, 2007
1) your physical size: 25 yo, 6'3", 190lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you?: not crazy aggressive, but i keep up
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????: all of the above
4) Do you have any riding experience? yes mostly street, a little dirt
5) Do you think you will race ? nope
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? i do most of my own work
10) Do you live in California? yep
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Basically what i'm looking for is one of the newer 250 four strokes, but since i live in california and the tree huggers make all the rules here, i have to deal with the whole green sticker/red sticker thing. I've had a pretty hard time finding a 01-02 in my area, so what i'm thinking about doing is just finding a decent/cheap 125 to ride for the summer and then i can get whatever 250f for the rest of the year. Or if its got enough power, maybe just ride it all year long and forget about the 250f. I've ridden 250 2 strokes before and i dont really need all that power. Given my size, would a 125 be too small, or even a 250f for that matter?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
A 125 four stroke would be way too small, both in power and overall size of the bike.

A 125 two stroke has plenty of power. If you are just trail riding you might really enjoy something like a Yamaha YZ-125. The frame of the YZ-125 is full size, it won't be too small in terms of height. As far as power it has more than enough to get you into trouble. If you are trying to keep up with your buddies and they have 250 two strokes or 450 four strokes you will be seeing their dust settling in the distance when you hit a power/fire road but when you hit the rough stuff it won't be the power that is limiting your speed.

Four strokes are a little more forgiving and easier for a beginer but I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 250 in a four stroke for you. Something like a Yamaha WR250F would work good for you, it has a full size frame, great suspension.

Rod

live_to_bike

Apr 23, 2007
misunderstanding?

2 strokes for life said:
flyingfuzzball, what are you on and why are you not sharing? A 125 makes about 30 to 37HP where as the 250 makes close to 50 or so HP.

i think he was comparing a 125 2stroke and a 250 4 stroke... a 250 fourstroke does not make close to 50hp

Top Bottom