took air box lid off and...

Chriscorv5

Apr 5, 2004
well i took my air box lid off on my stock kdx other than gearing changes. Well i messed around in the woods for like 10 min (it was pitch black, just wanted to test out light) well when i came back i had a little drop forming of oil/gas at the end of my tail pipe. The only reasion i noticed it was because smoke was comming from the tail pipe due to the hot oil/gas. Taking my air box lid off did all of that. Maby i should have waited till i got pipes, and rejetted. what do you think?

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
That is normal - these bikes are very rich fromt he factory. Dont worry about it - just ride and do your mods as you get the parts.

Chriscorv5

Apr 5, 2004
didnt do it before

The bike didnt do it before, it also has a bog now say im going really slow and i hit it it bogs for a sec, then when i hit 1/2 throttle it takes off like a bat out of hell. Is this still nomarl or should i just put it back on untill i get some more mods.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Try raising the needle (lower the clip) one position so that it richens that bog area (hesitation) a little. Before you raise the needle you could apply the choke while testing that bog situation and see if it has a positive effect. If richening with the choke gets rid of the bog go ahead and raise the needle. Your main is probably a little rich if you have factory jetting so you'll see a little spooge at the end of your pipe. You'll need to lean the main further (and the pilot too) when you get an aftermarket pipe.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
The spooge is normal with the factory jetting. Did you check the float level? If not do so BEFORE you start jetting. Mine was way off when I pulled the bowl. Also check the needle, mine was hammered. The jetting will never be consistant if the bowl and needle are not right. Look in the tech tips, all this stuff is explained very well.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
air and fuel go hand in hand at the same ratio. add more air and you need to add more fuel. probably a slight lean bog. try adjusting your air screw in, for a richer pilot setting. slight spooge out the silencer is a good sign.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: didn't do it before

Before what? The last time you rode in the cool dark of evening with a low dew point and likely high humidity with the same throttle positions over the same terrain?

Unlikely.

Every environmental point effects jetting: Temperature, relative humidity, air pressure (elevation and barometric changes due to weather patterns). Your jetting is not correct, guaranteed.

re: because smoke was comming from the tail pipe due to the hot oil/gas

In a word, no.

Don't jet for smoke...jet correctly. There is lots to learn on the subject.

......you've been to CDave's site and read his tune-up guide? Right?

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
I'm pretty new here and don't know where the tech tips are..

can somebody post me a link to it? I'd like to read the carb stuff... I'm thinking I should raise my needle a bit also.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep..but that's not the front page of CDave's site (not that it's missing a whole lot).

Anyway, keep in mind that CDave's site is linked at the top of this forum in the 'Every kdx rider should read...' thread.

Bookmark it!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…