MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Ok, I just got a new tool box set up (top and bottom) and am wanting some advice on organizing it. I have a 10 drawer top box 16" deep with 6 small draws and 4 big draws and a bottom 18" deep box with 8 large draws in it.

I've never had this much space and want some advice on how you guys have your boxes set up. I have no air tools and no wood working tools, just mechanic stuff.....metric, standard, screw drivers, hammers, pliers, etc. etc.

Didn't know if this is the right forum, but I figured we all use our boex when working on our bikes so I didn't think this was Completely off topic.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
What is this organize thing you speak of :)
It is foreign to me but I can learn. :confused:

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
In my tool box (yes at 15 I have quite the tool set built up) I just put everything together really. All flathead screw drivers in one of the small drawers, all Phillips in the opposite drawer. In a larger drawer I have all my wrenches in order of size metric on one side standard on the other. Next drawer I have all my channel locks and adjustable wrenches and larger pliers. Then in another drawer I have all needle nose pliers and small type pliers like that. And the last drawer I have all my sockets and ratchets, for these I bought some of those socket holders that have a handle on one end and about 20 (or so) sliding socker holder things. I put them all in the drawer along with the ratchets. This works for me, but every ones diffrent. Oh and hammers and mallets I put on the top (mine has a lid that lifts up) nice and deep for them. :thumb:

Last edited:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
1: Open drawer
2: Throw stuff in
3: Close drawer

This may be overly complicated for your average Carolinian, but I managed to learn the procedure in 6-8 weeks.

Congrats on the sho-nuff toolbox.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Oh and I have one drawer that I toss all odd stuff in. Like drift pins, alens (in the package), punches, drill bits (In a case of course). And what ever else doesn't really have a place.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I use JP's technique.

I have seen the anal retentive type who put foam in each drawer with cut outs for each tool so that they can tell if anything is missing or not in it's place.  To me it would be to disconcerning to know that something is missing before i really had a need for it.

put the heavier things in the bottom and the lighter items up top.  If you need get a digital scale to catagorize each tool by weight.  :)

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Monkey mouse is on track. I work at a shop and have a decent sized box. i have a drawer for screw drivers, one for pliers, one for metric wrenches, one for standard wrenches, one for metric sockets, ...I also have a drawer I have labeled "Cobra Common" I work on a lot of Cobra's so I have a 5mm T-handle allen, 13mm t-handle, 9/64 T-hanlde allen, 13mm srench, 10mm wrench... All the stuff I use all the time in one drawer. I also am kinda weird in that I label each drawer. I find many people over when i am working on their bike and they try and help. So I can say grab me a 10mm socket and not have to say no not that drawer the one under it. Its pretty self explanatory. The pliers are in the plier drawer.
And at home this sorta helps my wife get the hammer back in the right spot...8*)

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I put the most used items in the top and the first and second drawer of my tool chest. Top: Ratchets, 3/8" sockets metric and SAE all on there on holder, extensions and metric wrenches in a metal holder. First drawer: Screw drivers and pliers. Second drawer: SAE and monkey wrenches. In my base cabinet the top drawer has anything that came in a case. Drill bits, 1/2" socket set, 3/8" allen wrenches, torque wrench, metric tap and die set and the kit that has 50 different sized screw driver bits for the drill that you only used 4 of! The second drawer has all the hammers, pry bars, big momma monkey wrench or anything else that's heavy. The bottom area has a door that lifts up and I couldn't tell you what's in there!

About a year ago I changed what was in two drawers. Every time I go to get a punch I open the wrong drawer! Goes to show you some habits are hard to break!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
all a matter of preferance really, but here are some of my concerns as I set up my tool box.

obviously heavier tools in the bottom for stability
all wrenches in one drawer, all screwdrivers in an other etc etc, extremely important in my opinion is dedicated space for measuring tools <the idea of foam lining is not a bad idea here> and a dedicated drawer for cutting tools,drill bits,files and taps<keep them in the bag /box that they come in> where the metal filings and cutting oil residue wont cause a problem. Not in the drawer above your precision measuring devices or in the same drawer as you hammer and punches where the cutting edges will get banged up.

having been a profesional mechanic for some years and owning one of those rolling apartment complexes filled with stuff used infrequently has taught keep your most used tools in the drawers between waist and chest high. for the obvious reason of not having to reach up to see what your getting or bend over all of the time.

keeping a well organized tool box is a blessing , with all of those different drawer organizers available not only can you see quickly if you left something out but, you dont have to go fishing for something the next time you need it.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I have a work bench, so most my tools hang from the peg board. About the only thing in my tool box, which is a small 3 drawer, is the sockets, chisels, and Allen wrenches.
I have a seperate tool box for my metric stuff and it has no organization :(
But mostly everything is spreadout on the top of the bench or floor of the shop right where I used it last ;)

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I only have the top half, but now that I have a garage to roll it in...the bottom is coming.

I listed it in pseudo engineer detail

1 (Bottom Drawer) - Dremel and attachments, drill bits, other power tool accessories
2 - Wrenches, combination and adjustable
3 - Screwdrivers
4 - files, sandpaper, hacksaw
5 (small) - hex keys
6 (small) - assorted small pliers, wire snips etc
7 (medium) - digital caliper, square
8 (medium) - gunsmithing tools (old hobby)
9 (small) - utility knives
10 (small) - available
Top section - sockets, ratchets

tcarp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by taraker
What's a tool box?

&nbsp;

Its one of those things that gallon milk comes in. Other people call them a crate? Or maybe its one of those orange buckets they have at Home Depot?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
As organizing goes, prepare to spend a few dollars to equip the box. Seems as though the tool box itself is only a small part of the puzzle. Once you determine all of the accessories that you need, it can get quite expensive. I would line each of the drawers with some thin foam (can be bought where you got the box). I was able to get some wrench holders that staggers the wrenches in order in one drawer: standard on one side, metric on the other. It comes in very handy when looking for wrenches and aren't sure what size you need. The very best thing that I picked up when organizing my tool box are some orange, plastic socket holders with a magnetic strip in the middle for holding the sockets in place (and in order). They make them for each socket size (1\4, 3\8, and 1\2). I bought one for each size and type (SAE and Metric) for a total of 6. It comes in real handy when working on the car, truck, bike, etc.... As an added plus, the magnetic strip on the socket organizers will let you set the sockets against the underside of the hood, or on top of the air cleaner (anything metal), and not worry about dropping or misplacing your sockets. I used the socket bars before this but didnt like having to yank the sockets out to get to them. The magnetic holder works much better. Truth be told, I also label each drawer as to what is in it. Guess I am one of those "particular ones."

Top Bottom