Top-end/Piston question.... HELP!

drxr

Sep 30, 2003
I just bought an 01 220 that has never been broken down or had rings/piston. The previous owner said it has never had a wrench on it other than oil changes. It appears to have been ridden quite a bit, but cleaned up nicely.

I need some advice from you folks regarding preventative maintenance. In your opinions, should I have a wiseco piston and new rings installed? Where is the best place to buy the wiseco? Is the one on **** a good deal and is that all i need? I'm new to two strokes and will prob. need to have the work done instead of doing it myself... Do i need anything else? Gasket?

It seems to run out really strong, I just don't want problems down the road. Thanks, Craig

ps. i have an 04 KTM 450 EXC also and i bought this as a sort of "throw bike", but i think i am going to have a blast on it. it seems really throwable and versitile. thanks for the site, i read it often! :joke:

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
If you're not willing to try it yourself the first time (not a bad idea), then you just need to find a shop in the area that you trust. And see if the mechanic will let you watch while he's doing it, if you can pull that off. That'll help in the long run. As for the Wiseco, you can get them just about anywhere, but you may want to check w/the mechanic first. I haven't run into it, but I have heard of shop's not wanting to put in stuff that you didn't get from them. Most should be cool w/it though.

And what do you mean about the EXC being a "throw bike"?? If you're planning on it being a 'throw away bike', throw it my way. I can catch real good......

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
You will need the following parts.
Piston and rings of course. Wiseco or ProX. (Roughly $100 to $120)
Top end gasket set (Roughly $40 to $45)
- and I would go ahead and replace the reeds while you are in there. They are not expensive and reeds usually only last in for a year or two before they start losing their seal. Boyesen 607 power reeds work nicely and perform better than stock according to most people in here. (Roughly $20)

drxr

Sep 30, 2003
don't get me wrong. the wording was confusing... the kdx as the throw bike, the exc as my baby.....

but i'm really liking the kdx's weight and manuverability...!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
An '01 that hasn't had a wrench on it needs some wrenching.

Does that mean the suspension hasn't been serviced? If so, expect it to be mostly ruined. The unitrack knuckle and swingarm bearings need to be taken care of....a few years ago. These things (kdxs) off the showroom floor need to be serviced when you get one of 'em home.

The steering bearings fit in the 'never been done' category, too? Way past time to do that, too. Chances of the lower bearing being any good are about zero.

Certainly it's due for rings...and if you're doing that, might as well off the oem (Pro-X) piston. They are known problem spots in the 220. They break! Yep..in stock trim bikes, too. When they do break, the subsequent damage can be awful.

You will need a piston kit. Make sure you have new circlips, wrist pin and rod (small end) bearing. You will need a base and head gasket, too.

Does the KIPS even still work? If it runs well, it probably is. Part of a top-end job is cleaning that up, too.

Your shock should be serviced. The fork oil needs to be changed.

Sorry...but you don't run a dirt bike for three/four years with no maintenance and have any reasonable expectation of not having failures related to it being poorly taken care of. I'm assuming there is some riding going on during that time period. ;)

Both front and rear wheel bearing sets are likely shot.

Probably a good idea to take a look at the front chain guide (the black one..commonly called a slipper). Check the rear one, too. They do wear out. When the slipper wears out the chain is going to eat your swingarm into waste. When the rear guide block wears out it's going to wreak havoc on your chain...because the bolts that hold it in are going to be exposed and rubbing on the chain.

If you haven't read thru CDaves JustKDX site, please do. It's linked in the 'Every kdx rider should read...' thread stickied to the top of this forum.

All of this stuff (dirt bike maintenance) is going to be ridiculously expensive if it's all relegated to a bike shop.

Time to buy a service manual and spend some quality time with your 'new to you' and previous-owner abused bike! :ohmy:

Top Bottom