top end rebuild turns into an enormous bill

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
So i decided to bring my bike in a couple days ago to have the top end freshend up and after a coulpe of days i get a call from the shop saying that i need a bottom end also :bang: ,so i figured F it ill just have it done so my bikes good to go for the summer time,but what i was wondering is will i notice quite a bit more power with a new top/bottom end,chain/sprockets,and boyeson power reeds?Its a 1990 rm3250 if you're wondering.

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
Well with the top end,bottom end,parts,and labour its gonna be around $1800,but thats with reeds and the chain and sprockets installed also which i couldve done by myself but it was just easier since they were working on it anyway.

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
Wow! glad im a mechanic! My rebuild on my 93kx comes to $210 Granted its just a rod, bering and topend.

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
ya if i was doing just the top end it woulda been about the same,but once they got in there they noticed the bottom end was shot,basically im paying for a lot of labor.

f4stunter

Dec 18, 2008
I did a complete top and bottom end with vforce reeds, repacked the exhaust, had it bored new swingarm bearings, grips, levers, frt brake hose, and probably some more stuff i cant remember for 900 bucks. I couldnt be involved in powersports at all if I couldnt do my own labor.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What's shop time on a 2 stroke rebuild? 4~6 hours, with lunch. I never really timed it, 2~3 hours sounds more like it. 350 to 400 dollars in parts to rebuild the engine. BUT, it should run very good!

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
Yeah $1800 canadian,and it woulda been cheep had it just been a top end rebuild,but since its a used bike i didnt really the history of it at all there ended up being more work that needed to be done,and i had work done that i could've done myself(sprockets,chain,reeds),so with the extra time at about $70 an hour things start adding up quick,and yes i know i'm spending a lot of money on it but if i decide to sell it i'd rather sell it as a perfectly running bike and not some half running POS.

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
Yup thats the way im looking at it,i figure the bikes 19 years old so seals and gaskets are probably shot and im probably having work done that hasnt been done in a long time or never been done at all.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom