Kinger118

Jul 1, 2010
I am doing a top end rebuild on my kx125 just wondering what gasket kit i need to get? Do ineed the one that comes with the oil seals or can i get the one that comes without them

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I would get the one with the oil seals just to replace everything I can while I am in there. I would recomened the moose racing top end gasket kit because it comes with a thicker bottom cylinder gasket for more perfomance and is cheap.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
eagles22793 said:
I would get the one with the oil seals just to replace everything I can while I am in there. I would recomened the moose racing top end gasket kit because it comes with a thicker bottom cylinder gasket for more perfomance and is cheap.

A thicker base gasket for more performance? Please explain..

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
IndyMX said:
A thicker base gasket for more performance? Please explain..
+1 I would love to know how that thicker gasket alone will improve performance. I understand that there will be a very minute adjustment in port timing which would make an equally minuscule improvement if the top of the cylinder were milled down by an equal amount, however, it seems that the gain will be neutralized by the enlarged squish area that has decreased the total compression. Since I have no engineering background, I accept that I could be way off base on this one. Please provide evidence if I am. My greatest argument is that I have run .2, .3, and .5mm base gaskets in my son's 85 with zero noticeable difference in power, although KTM makes a tool that will help me to set the timing properly with the various gaskets.

Wow, that sounds a little like somebody else around here, I could be wrong, so I won't name names. He would not be so nice.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Too funny Fru. I believe the it is the changed port timing along with the lowered compression, and ever so little, together makes better power on top? Some are that way. I do not recall ever hating a KX125 power band. They have seemed to pull hard off bottom to infinity. In Eric's book on hop ups, the 98 to 00 has too high of compression, for example. Yet another needs head work and cutting the base? Get the book, or box up your top end, and send it to Forward Motion, http://www.eric-gorr.com/ , tell him what and where you want it. Those bikes did have a lot of issues with the oem plating, Eric fixes that also. Vintage Bob

Top Bottom