Top Gun Race Report Second Race

What really happened to Wrench at Top gun?

• Wrench, fell down because he was too busy trying to figure out what type of smack talk he was going

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Wrench fell down because the additional weight of the mud caused an inbalance on his bike and the CG

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Wrench just fell down and go boo boo in the mud

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Wrench was taken out by a guy on a Yamaha who cut the track and hit him twice because he had it in f

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, I can't say I actually remember all of everyones finishing orders out there because the massive downpours really got our attention and made it a little messy to walk around. To saart it off Dave and I took off my throttle to clean it out and pulled the cable housing out of the adjuster and essentially had the throttle pinned. I thought Wrench screwed with my bike and he, along with Gomer ended up diagnosing and fixing my bike in a matter of minutes. Jake my little 80 racing friend changed my spark plug pretty quick and I think the other two (Gomer and Wrench) thrive on fixing bike problems with no time to do it. These guys simply FLY into action at a moments notice. SUPER DUDES!

First off, My friends son, Jake who got ran over (I mean really run over) in the 80 Junior class, was taken to tha hospital las night. I twas thought he had some broken ribs. Jake Won the qualifier very easily. He again got the hole shot in the main but laid it down in the second turn........ Then he got hit. We then had a good scare because we overheard on the paramedics walkie talkie, someone say they needed a back board and we started running over as it was on the other side of the track.
I called his Dad today and the X-Rays show all clear with no broken ribs and no internal bleeding. :thumb:

Most all of us raced in either the 250D or the 30+ class. The rain put a damper on the evening and made everything real slick. I qualified 10th in the 30+ and was kind of bummed because I wanted to do better. When it came time for the main, Dave, James, and Ivan sat out because if the conditions. Gomer, Wrench and myself obviously are either better riders or we just have less brain power. When I was in the staging area with only four other guys, I started to think it was more of the lack of brain power that had us out there. While we were waiting, the 60 class was out there and two little ones crashed and couldn't get up. Gomer leans his bike up against the fence and runs onto the track to restart and get both tykes going again. He recieved a standing ovation from our whole class. :thumb:

In the 30+, I started right next to Gomer with Wrench 2 places to my right. When ght gate dropped, I actually hole shotted Gomer (which stunned me). I actually was doing pertty well and was in fifth or sixth position on the last lap. I thought someone was barking down my tail and kept pushing and ended up dropping it on the face of a jump. I had problems going uphill on the muddy face and three guys passed me :debil: I ended up with a ninth for the day. I got a plaque which I gave to my 2 year old when I got home. He had stayed up waiting on me until midnight. He so wanted to go and luckily, since he can't read yet, I think he thinks I won. :thumb: Anyway, Wrench got an 11th because...... I'll let Wrench tell his story, and Gomer got a 14th maybe? Not sure.

Ivan, ended up getting a FIFTH in the 250D, John KTM got a 10th and Billy the quad got a 5th in his quad class, the rest of you will have to fill in because I can't remember who finished where.

Gotta go and put the boys to bed now, Later!

Last edited:

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
All I know is wrench was pretty mad, first time I had met him for the evening and was wondering if he was gonna punch me for just standing there. Never have seen anybody put there bike on the stand quite so sternly!

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I think this was one of Wrench's tamer episodes. Last year at Shelby, he was fixin to take on the whole 250D class in a Thunderdome style battle to the death.....until we told him that he was all by himself when he fell down.

I had a good time last night, but I can't remember a whole lot about the racing. I do know that Gomer did a massive mud churning wheelie off the start of the +30 C/D class. Unfortunately, the mud was the only thing moving and when the front came back down, he stalled it....this explains everyone beating him to the first turn.

Ivan ran a good race in the 250D main which amounted to a survivor match to see who could stay on two wheels the longest.

TNT was kinda soupy today and my efforts to avoid the mud last night proved futile as my bike was coated within the first 100 yards.

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
Can I just tell you how bad my neck, wrist, and knees ache this morning after repeatedly not listening to Gomers request to keep the throttle pinned as I hit the barrell jumps at TNT. Nothing like hitting the wrong side of a double over and over and over!

It was good meeting you guys this weekend!

Jim

andym

Jun 3, 2000
I'm glad I wasn't there. Driving that far for a mud race wouldn't have been fun. We raced a little track in KY on Sunday and most of the track was dusty.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The rain, hail, and resulting mud really made it tough for the main events.  AFter bad starts and multiple crashes, I finished at the back of both Unlimited C and +30C/D.

I must be doing something wrong...4 out of 4 times I wheelied out of the gate.  By the time I got the front end down everyone was gone.  In the +30C/D qualifier I got back on the gas and ran up the inside of the first turn only to find that all those nice old folk had left me about 5 feet of space there!  I turned tight and ended up witht he holeshot.  I led the first half of the race until one guy got by me.  I stayed pretty close to him, but had no chance of passing him back.  I was happy to get 2nd out of 18 in the qualifier, but let's not talk about the main.  AAMOF, let's not talk about ANY of the other races!

OK, I will talk about one.  After stalling off the line I came up on Vince about halfway through the first lap.  I stopped to make sure he got up then I followed him.  I kept trying to figure out how to pass him, but I never could.  There were a few spots where I got out of control every lap and could barely make it up some of the jumps because they were slippery.  He would leave me in those sections and it would take the rest of the lap for me to catch back up.

Mack Reed got 6th in Unlimited C afetra few crashes.  Don't let me forget to give you your trophy.

Danny rode in 250D and Unlimited D and ran both muddy mains.  Ricky ran into a guy who crashed on the start of the 80D Sr qualifier.  He passed a couple, but ended up near the back.  He was smart and didn't race the main.

Had a great time with everyone at TNT Sunday!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Oh yeah...let me tell you about OceChap... :o

After he landed in the face of all three doubles in a row I told him that that was the hardest he could possibly hit them, that either jumping a little shorter or a little longer would be easier, so just hold it on! Well, he decided to repeatedly test the truth of what I told him by jumping into the face of each double over and over and over and... :scream:

He is literally twice as fast on his new KTM300 than he was on the KX500, though. With a little bit of time, we've got some more competition. We decided we should go ahead and take him out now, though. That's why I was caoching him in how to case a double.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer

He is literally twice as fast on his new KTM300 than he was on the KX500, though. With a little bit of time, we've got some more competition. We decided we should go ahead and take him out now, though. That's why I was caoching him in how to case a double.
I can vouch for that as well! This guy is like a completely different rider out there now. Amazing what a ride thats not a couch on wheels w/60hp. can do huh Jim? :laugh: Seriously though I rode w/our fastly improving pumpkin rider a couple weeks ago for his 1st. outing w/his trusty new stead and was immediately impressed w/the improvements in posture, form, and speed. I later in the day decided to test him and was rather impressed at how much faster he had become as I could not shake him from my rear fender. There's your prop's Jim :thumb: Your earning it. I talked to Mad Mark this week, and he loves his new pumpkin as well. He wants to catch up w/us this week some time. So I'll drop you a line this week.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
I must be doing something wrong...4 out of 4 times I wheelied out of the gate.

Use your spare tire to its advantage and place that thing right on the gas cap :)

By the time I got the front end down everyone was gone.

I was taping it and stopped taping after everyone went by on the start. Then as I turn I see Gomer running like a kid on a PW50 trying to catch up. He had is feet off the pegs and everything :)

After stalling off the line I came up on Vince about halfway through the first lap. I stopped to make sure he got up then I followed him. I kept trying to figure out how to pass him, but I never could.

Welcome to my world. Last year he wasn't jumping as much so I had an advantage. This year I think my advantage will just be staying out of his roost and finishing behind him. He has stepped it up this year really good.

Mack Reed got 6th in Unlimited C afetra few crashes. Don't let me forget to give you your trophy.

His daughter got #1 in our hearts in the pits. She was so cool to have around. I sure hope she got her brains from her mother though ;)

Danny rode in 250D and Unlimited D and ran both muddy mains.

That was a bike he was on? I thought he was just pushing a glob of mud around the track.

Ricky ran into a guy who crashed on the start of the 80D Sr qualifier. He passed a couple, but ended up near the back. He was smart and didn't race the main.

He was passing people pretty quickly. We got him on tape too and he looked really good out there.

Only the smart ones did not race the main. I was only half smart b/c I only raced the 250D main and sat out the +30c/d. It still took me 3 hours to clean the bike yesterday.

With a little bit of time, we've got some more competition (Ocechap). [/B]

Just let him follow me a little while. I seem to have this effect on peoples speed. James, Slacker, SOLO and Wrench at one time were all around my speed but after a few rides with me they have all went on to faster pastures while I keep going about the same speed.

BTW, the practice and 250D heat were my favorites. I found some good lines and felt faster this time than last. I think I liked the fact that in both the practice and 250D heat race I actually passed some people. Still could not get close enough to Wrench though... he was moving. It is about time for him to give back his true spode award he got at DW 01 :)

Ivan

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
You guys making me blush! Let me just say how much faster it is on the track riding than it looks watching. All you guys blow me away how fast your ride whether its on the track or the trails. I have a lot to learn and a long way to go and appreciate the help I've already had and all my stupid questions that won't quit coming, btw!

Next time at TNT, I'll make those stupid doubles, heck I can't hurt much more than I am now! Well, maybe so, but I'll just try to stay on the bike.

Bryan, one word, RAIN, all week. Sucks!
Jim

Jim

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Dave’s Top Gun & TNT ride report. I just plain stink. :| Had a great practice, rode faster and more confident than I ever have in the past. Qualifier gives me a good start and after the first turn I was about 6th only because Wrench causes a pile up and I follow Gomer on the inside. Half way through the first lap I stall in a tight left & the entire field goes by leaving me in last place. :think: Bike starts I play catch-up and pass someone on the last lap. I forgo the Main only due to the pain in my back and the desire to ride the next day at TNT. Had a blast just being able to see everyone and ride for the first time since I don’t know when.
Mike hit on a characteristic about Gomer, I wish there were more like him. We get to TNT and some guy with an XR400 comes over to Mike (Gomer, in case you guys don’t know his name) wanting to know where to get air for his flat tire. Not only does Mike offer an inner tube if he has one, but after he buys one from Barbara, Mike changes the tire for the guy and sends him on his way. You are truly a champion in this sport and in life! :thumb: I spend the morning trying to convince myself that I’m not in pain, … I loose. It hurt just to stand and I knew that I would get hurt if I tried to ride. Lola doesn’t want to ride if I’m not, so we load up and head home. Got to see Scott and Stumpy before we left, James sorry we missed ya @ TNT. Soon as things get healed up we’ll be out again. Aryn is probably going to have his first race at Top Gun as soon as the summer series starts. <----- Ivan keep me posted when the schedule comes out.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by ocechap

Bryan, one word, RAIN, all week. Sucks!
Jim

Jim
:| I know..........I know.......... :| I'm being optomistic. Jim are you interested in bringing the Kx up sometime this week and trying to fix that radiator?

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Allright youzguy's ...... DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!! :eek:

I chose the "inbalance" (#2) excuse ... it sounds better than the "truth"

Anyway, it was a great night of racing inspite of the rain/hail/monsoon/sleet/typhoon/tsunami and wealy wealy bad stuff! I can't believe that I brain farted with 2nd in the bag. Thanks to Gomer for sticking around to protect me from getting lapped on the first lap. :aj: I really enjoyed getting to race with you guys again. I can't wait for the summer series. Getting up this morning was a real chore ... I am still sore now!

Ocechap ... Wow, there must be something special about you big guy ... you got to see the "Full Monty" on your first night! :yeehaw:

Dave you big Flamer, hurry up and heal up! I want you at 100% next time so that I can use some of my rear fender jokes!

wrench

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by wrench
Allright youzguy's ...... DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!! :eek:

The good thing is, underneath all of the ranting, raving, whining, moaning, temper-tantrums, thrown objects, and threats of bodily harm....you are a GOOD SPORT :thumb: :yeehaw:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by James

The good thing is, underneath all of the ranting, raving, whining, moaning, temper-tantrums, thrown objects, and threats of bodily harm....you are a GOOD SPORT :thumb: :yeehaw:
I'll second that.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Whyzee
I just plain stink.

No you don't. You rode fine. Plus, it was great having you there so I could use your doo rag to whipe my tail after going to the bathroom :p Ooops... Lola told me not to tell you that!!

Aryn is probably going to have his first race at Top Gun as soon as the summer series starts.

Sounds great!!

Ivan

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Truespode

Yeah, but those were directed at ME!!! :)

Ivan
Or the mystery man on the Yamaha. :laugh:

Top Bottom