Torque settings on rear suspension linkage?

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Guys,

Per the warnings here and on the JustKDX site, I've pulled my rear suspension linkage and swingarm. Luckily, the bearings in my 2000 KDX are like new, with no damage or obvious degradation of the grease. I'm assuming this is due to the very low hours on the bike.

I'm going to clean/grease them up good with the Valvoline grease that I have. I'm sure there are better greases, but this is all I have for now. It's bound to be better than stock. Besides, it's pretty easy to pull this stuff to lube it again.

I don't have a shop manual, though, and I don't know the torque values for the swingarm pivot & suspension linkage bolts (3 of them). If anyone can get me that information, I'd *really* appreciate it. I've got an ass-less KDX that's waiting to ride in the newly fallen snow here in central MO! :)

Brandon

sasrocks

Nov 10, 2002
OFF TOPIC hey Brandon I remember you from the what bike do I get thread. Good advice - I am gonna look for a KDX. Where do you ride? Fingerlakes? lemme know I get to Jeff alot maybe when I get my ride we could meet up.

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
I'm living in Camdenton, on the Lake of the Ozarks. My sister is attending school @ Mizzou (Columbia), so I go through Jeff every once in a while. I'm open to riding about anywhere. :)

Last Wednesday through Sunday I rode Chadwick (Mark Twain nat'l forest south of Springfield), a friend's trail @ Whiteman AFB (near Warrensburg), and some dirt-tracking in Springfield. Give me a shout if you want to hook up. I want to get my rear suspension put back on, and play in some of this snow outside!

Brandon
bmonnig@yahoo.com

K Dixon

Oct 25, 2002
As per manuel
rocker arm nut 65 ft-lbs
Rear shock bolt 29 ft-lbs
tie-rod nut 61 ft-lbs
swingarm pivot nut 65 ft-lbs

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Thanks! Looks like it's time to get it all back together!

Brandon

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Make sure the shoulders on the bolts for the pullrods are IN the rods, not ON the rods (on the nut side of course).

After a grease job, it's easy to miss that. With the seals full of grease, the bolt shoulders don't reach far enough through to easily fit into the pullrods. It will tighten up just fine. Then after a ride, things will be knocking around...you will have ruined your pull rods and maybe the bolts too.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…