kxjet

Jul 31, 2004
Has anyone used a torque spacer? Would it be benificial? Moose sells them for 30 dollars and I just wanted to know if it would be worth it.

kxjet

Jul 31, 2004
The $9.95 at FRP is definately better than the thirty dollars at Moose, but are the results going to be the same? I was searching the forums and found this topic, but they were all MX's, and nobody had an answer on what kind of gains it would make to any bike. Some said they could barely tell the difference in low end response with the torque ring. I only started riding the bike yesterday, and it will be a while before i'm ready to moddify it. I'm just looking at the options and trying to learn a thing or two in the process. I will have questions for a while. Like this, what would happen if I put a torque ring and a FMF rev pipe together? Would it be an increase in low end torque, and more power in the top end? :think:

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
kxjet said:
Would it be an increase in low end torque, and more power in the top end?

Yes, definitely. It will do that without the torque ring, but the ring adds a little more down low, minus a few revs on top. I don't know about you guys, but I don't need near the top end I have. And I run 13/50 sprockets.

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
I put a torque ring in my 1998 200 and didn't notice much change. I put in a reed spacer and there was a lot more low end and no more spooge.

bob

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
The torque ring doesn't do anything but drop the existing power curve 200 to 300 RPM. It does deepen the exhaust sound a bit. I ran the torque ring with the rev pipe (-30) and just lost a little top speed. It's not nearly as effective as the torque pipe (-35) at increasing and smoothing out the bottom end. My bike runs a higher top speed with the -35 than it does with the -30 with torque ring. Save your $10.00 and put it into the -35 pipe. I've never run my bike with the stock pipe, but from what I'm told either of the FMF (-30 or -35) pipes increase the power everywhere in the power band significantly over stock.

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Q.1 - If you use the torque ring, do you still use the exhaust pipe gasket? (This one - part #11009)
Or does anyone us it anyway? When I got my bike, it didn't have the gasket.

Q.2 - rlbranson - Where'dya get the reed spacer??

Jeff

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I just received my FRP torque ring. It says to remove the copper gasket. I ordered a moose reed spacer from the local shop. They did not have one listed for the KDX; but the reed gasket for the KX125 and KDX was the same, so I just ordered the spacer kit for the KX125. I hope it fits. I haven't received it yet.

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
I made my own reed spacer. Actually I made 2 of them by tracing around and inside a reed block gasket. Then I drilled a whole lot of holes and then finished up by filing the inside and outside of the spacer. I tried to put 2 each 1/8 inch spacers in place, but then I couldn't get the carb back on. I ended up with 1 spacer and 1 gasket on one side and 2 gaskets on the other side. It does have noticably more low end, but not as much as a kdx220 or a ktm200 exc. It seems to have more top as well as more low end. I wold be interested in what a reed spacer would do on a kdx220, I think it would have more top end.

Bob
kdx200

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
Bob,

I'll let you know shortly. My reed spacer should be in Friday. I'll put it in my 220 this weekend and let you know!

Tom L.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
I have the FMF gnarly pipe added the torque ring. I mean it's not magic or anything but felt a little more down below power than before.
KXJET - I will agree with Rhodester on this, stock pipe is terrible. If you just started riding get the FMF Gnarly pipe it's power is easier to handle then the REV pipe and it will make your KDX ride so nice. If you want more bottom end or more top speed after this mod switch your sprockets out to a different size (stock sprocket size should give you a nice top speed already, but if you find you want more torque try a 13(front)50(rear) combo.). Last but not least if you get the new pipe do for the love of dirt get the $40 Aluminum or $100 Carbon Fiber pipe guard. It only takes one nice fall to wreck your brand new pipe to where it works worse than the one you replaced. Good luck and happy riding!

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
My son just got his 220 and it's geared really low. 12/49. It's got plenty of low end in my opinion. It was almost like a four stroke.

04kdxchris

Aug 26, 2004
I think the best thing you could do is go and get a set of reeds. I got the Boyeson 607 power reeds i belive they are ( its been a while) And they made the bike much quicker revving and more powerful. For 30 bucks it was a real good improvement. Im going to keep my stock pipe/silencer unless if i bang them up. I like how quiet it is stock i really dont want a loud bike.
Chris

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
My last ride I threw in the torque ring with my -35 (woods) pipe just for the heck of it. I couldn't tell any noticeable difference at all when combining it with this pipe. It even sounded the same (unlike when used with the -30 pipe). All in all.....save your money.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
other than the initial cost of the $10-$15 tool advancing your timing is free for more bottom end and it is quite noticeable I don't know why more people aren't trying it. I loved the difference it made.

Top Bottom