ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
I was wondering if a torque spacer that Moose makes that goes between the reeds and the cylinder is worth the money and time to install it? I can make one because I have access to all the milling equipment I need but I was wondering if it really helps and worth the time to make? Does that 3/8 of an inch really do anything noticable or is it more mental. Has anybody tried these before and what is your opionion.
If you want to know the setup of the bike I ride see the post What needle to use and it will tell you how I have it setup right now if that will help.

Thanks again

BarryW

Jan 4, 2001
Here's a related thread:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52226

I made my own and just finished the installation last night so I haven't been able to try it out personally yet. For my '90 model the dimensions are 1.800 on the OD, 1.500 on the ID, and the thickness needs to be <0.215 to keep the inboard o-ring of my FMF pipe inside the seal bore of the head. The outboard o-ring isn't used. I don't know how a 3/8 thick ring could be used, at least on my model, because it'd push both the pipe seals outside the seal bore of the head.

ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
I was really wondering about the intake spacer. I have heard the exhaust ones make a difference, thanks for the measurements, I may make one of those also.
Does anybody have a comment on the intake spacer?

Thanks

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
What is the difference between Fredette FRP Torque Ring that resides between the cylinder and pipe, and the moose version that goes between reeds and the cylinder. The moose version is about $59.00 and the frp version is $8.95.

BarryW

Jan 4, 2001
Physically, the exhaust spacer is just a simple ring, whereas the intake spacer is shaped like an intake gasket with all the bolt holes. It's easier to mass produce a simple ring than something with a rectangular shape and holes in it, hence the price difference.

ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
Would a guy dare do both?
It is hard to imagine that less than a 1/4 of an inch exhaust spacer would do much, but I guess it does.
Would doing both be overkill or would I get an effect that I dont want?
Would it screw up jetting?

Thanks

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I have done both.
I used dealer stock gaskets. 2 at the exhaust and 2-3 in the intake track.
Use high temp silcone to take care on any o-ring issuses at the exhaust.
jetting not an issue. Possible A/S adjustment needed.
Don't expect miracles though. After all....what can one expect for only dishing out 59 bucks .
good luck and have fun.
Joe

Top Bottom