ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
My clutch is so damn hard to pull in, I was told when I bought the bike it was a Hinson Clutch, But after I pulled the inspection plate it looks very stock to me. Anyway my question is: After I pulled the inspection plate and took out the clutch plates I don’t notice any rough scaring or excessive wear on any of the plates, why would my clutch be so hard top pull in? we have 3 other bikes in the family and those are as easy as butter to pull in? what could be the problem? I am pulling my hair out!., Is there another place to adjust the play and feeling of your clutch other than the handle bars?
Thanks for the help.

Rich

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I would check the cable first. You might be surprised how much tougher the clutch pull is when it's worn out. Also check for notching on the clutch basket fingers. They could hang up the plates if notched enough.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Notched?

Thanks for the info, i looked at the basket and cant tell any signs of unusal wear,the fingers looked ok, I just went shopping online and bought a new Weisco Basket, Clutches, MSR Billet Perch with EZ Pull and a new Cable, Nothing left to be bad right? Geez i hope not. I really got pissed when i didn't find the Hinson clutch like the fag said was in there when i bought the bike.
One more question, are the bolts supposed to be bottomed out on the springs? or are they supposed to be an equal amount screwed in like on a Harley? I didn't pay attention when i un bolted it.
Thanks - Rich

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
They are to be tightened down to a certain torque. I think it's approx. 8-10ft.lbs. Both rm's I had always had very light clutch pull. Unfortunately they were very grabby. The stock clutch baskets are garbage.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Thanks Darringer

Thanks for the help, that last post really helped out.

Top Bottom