sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
:( :(

This was taken out of a Orange County Newspaper.

REMEMBER TO ALWAYS USE A SPOTTER!!!!

The "?" are supposed to be quotation marks.

Boy dies after dirt-bike collision

Accident - His father, riding a motorcycle up the opposite side of a sand dune, strikes the Aliso Viejo teen, who dies after surgery

A 14-year-old Aliso Viejo boy was killed in an off-road motorcycle accident Sunday morning when he collided head-on with a motorcycle driven by his father just out-side Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in San Diego County.

Jesse Davis, an eighth grader at Don Juan Avila Middle School and avid motorcyclist, later died at a hospital after surgery.

?They weren?t able to see each other because they approached the same hill from different directions,? said Jose Rocha, a
dispatcher with the California Highway Patrol in San Diego.

The accident occurred at 10:30 a.m. at the Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area, a massive desert park with sand dunes about 100 miles northeast of San Diego.

The boy?s father, Steven Gonzalez, 40, of Aliso Viejo was riding a Yamaha YZ 125 at 40 mph up a dune, while his son, also on a motorcycle, approached the same hill from the opposite direction at about 20 mph, the dispatcher said.

The father jumped his bike at the top of the hill and crashed into his son?s upper body as he reached the top of the sand dune, Rocha said.

The boy was knocked unconscious; he was flown to Palomar Medical Center. He died after undergoing emergency surgery, said Tamara Hemmerly, a hospital spokeswoman.

Gonzalez was treated at Pioneer Memorial Hospital in Brawley. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reported that there are more serious injuries and fatalities involving off-road motorbikes than in more common sports, but there are no statistics on dirtbike accidents and fatalities.

Neighbors on Sunday night recalled the love of motorcycles shared by father and son. The pair often rode together in front of their house on Plateau Street.

?That?s all he wanted to talk about,? said friend Katie Graves, 13. "He did dirt biking and won trophies.? The girl said she last saw Jesse on Friday night. He was excited about the weekend family camping trip.

She said Jesse enjoyed making milkshakes, listening to punk and rock music, and riding his skateboard. ?He was really sweet? she said. ?He liked to show everyone his bikes and his room.?

Katie?s mother, Jennifer Graves, said Jesse had a happy disposition and lots of friends. ?He was always very nice to Katie,? Graves said. ?They talked on the phone almost every day.?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I read that too Khris. There were two crashes at Elsinore yesterday and both kids, 10 years old or so, were transported to the hospital. I can hope that this type of press doesn't help the anti's more fuel for the fire!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
That is terrible. What that family must be going through. My thoughts and wishes go out to them.

The greenies are going to grab this one and run with it too, waving the flag of caring for their fellow human being to push their agenda. If I were the boy's family I would shoot down any attempt by the enviro-nazis to turn this into a crusade.

MO-dirt-AR

Nov 6, 2001
and yesterday near Kansas City, 18 & 19 year old males killed when they topped a hill riding double on their quadATV and hit a farm tractor head on.

Jimmy!

Jan 7, 2001
:( Terrible. My condolances to the family(ies)

I'm with you FC22, I hope that the tragedy isn't furthered by some wingnuts trying to take advantage of the family's loss...

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
That is really sad that a father's son is killed doing the past time that has brought them so close together. I miss riding with my dad, he use to be a really great rider. The worst part is that others would us something like this to further their agenda. I am always conscious of our image as dirt bike riders to the general public.
Thanksgiving weekend is coming and I will be in the desert, but I am staying out of Glamis. Every year it seems at least 1 person a year dies during this weekend. The drinking is way out of control and the drunker people get the more they want to ride or drive their OHV's. Two years back I spent New Years in Gordon’s Well and it was out of control. I decided to carry my Glock just in case, well I had to pull it out in a threatening manner as some drunken punks sped not around, but through out camp on quads several times at about 3 am, I have never been closer to killing some one. They were very apologetic as you might imagine. Drinking has no place in our sport, except after the ride.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
This is terrible. Our thoughts and prayers are with this boy's family.....especially the father. I can't even begin to imagine what this man must be going through. :(

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
very sad

that anything like this has to happen in any type of sport. kids are just not suppose to get hurt or die period.............it shouldn't happen.

with that said, that agenda some of you spoke about in this story is already present in the way it was reported.........

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reported that there are more serious injuries and fatalities involving off-road motorbikes than in more common sports, but there are no statistics on dirtbike accidents and fatalities.

the scary part is we all leave this slide everyday and think it may be true, i personally don't think it is.

just thinking out loud

wardy

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
My youngest is the same age. I cannot begin to imagine something like this happening - something I would feel totally responsible for. My prayers go out to this father. He is probably doing a lot of retrospecting --- Would've, could've, should've. Sometimes seeing things in hindsight can be so painful.:ugg:
Does anyone have any contact information where E-mails, cards, or letters can be sent?

Top Bottom