Trail Tech Vapor Computer installation on KDX Questions

pgbutler

May 3, 2008
Just wondering if anyone here has installed one of the Trail Tech computes on their KDX200/220? More precisely I'm wondering where the best place to inset the temp sensor would be.The rad hose must be spliced and temp sensor inserted.I'm thinking the best place might be the hose that joins the two rads up under the tank.Seems to be sufficiently out of the way but am unsure as to temp readings and accuracy.The only other place I think would be on the left side hose that runs to the head.Anyone have any suggestions?

Also the RPM sensor I simply ran one with to the green connector that goes to the coil and grounded the other wire.The power wire for the unit I tapped into the light switch.
I won't be able to test it until I put my new FMF exhaust on and therefore I am looking for any advice on this installation so that when I fire it up all will work.
For those that are using this unit does it work well? Hope so and thanks!I have been working on this bike 2005 KDX220 for the past month trying to get it just the way I want and have only been out for two very short rides(mostly due to weather) but I have a feeling it will be alot of fun.I bought it for $2000 and will have $1000 into it by the time it the exhaust arrives.Here in Canada the same year sells for around $4500 so even having put $1000 into it I still have a great deal.

One last thing I want to do is install new shroud graphics, originals or aftermarket.Unsure as to which way to go as the originals are vey expensive and the ones that are on it presently are in pretty good shape.Any suggestions for good quality aftermarket that aren't outrageously expensive? There doesn't appear to be anything on ebay.Thanks for advice in advance!

rhansen

Nov 18, 2007
I recently installed a Vapor on my 05 KDX200, and it has worked great so far.

Temperature Sensor:
I had the same exact mounting concerns as you did. Not only are the left and right hoses too curvy, but the right one is vulnerable to rocks. I called Trail Tech, and the guy had just installed one on a KDX200. He said the best place is indeed the hose that connects the radiators, and to make sure the sensor is tilted so the tank doesn't interfere. I was afraid that this hose might have too much air in it and cause inaccurate readings, but he said it works fine. Haven't installed yet myself, but will as soon as I get my radiator guards.

RPM Sensor:
I simply wrapped the red wire 5 times around the plug wire, and grounded the black. You'll want to make sure you set the PPR to 2 as opposed to the default 1. With a PPR of 1, I was getting readings from 3000-20,000 rpm. At 2, I was getting 1500-10,000. The guy at Trail Tech confirmed my set-up, and said the PPR setting of 1 was incorrect. He said the least number of wraps around the plug wire the better, ie. 3-5 wraps is best. For power, I simply mounted a 9 volt battery on the airbox lid. Very easy to do, and totally independent from the bike's power. Trail Tech said that tapping into the bike's power can sometimes cause problems.

pgbutler

May 3, 2008
Tht is how I ended up mounting the temp sensor today

That is how I ended up mounting the temp sensor today before I read your post.I'm glad I did it the way it was suggested and indeed I did rotate the sensor and hose clamps so they didn't interfer with the tank.As fo the RPM sensor simply ran the red wire to the green wire that supplies signal to the coil.This should work as it is one of the suggested ways in the manual.As far as power goes I asked one of the tech guys about this tapping onto the light and he said that would be the way to do it.The instructions could be more model specific which is my only complaint so far.Thanks for the info regarding the setting for the computer.I will let you know about the temp sensor when I fire it up or if you get a the opportunity before I do let me know how it works.

rhansen

Nov 18, 2007
The instructions mentioned a spade connector on the coil, but I couldn't find one. I was going to try it, but I already had a ton of wires going to the coil from my Baja Designs kit. Your RPM sensor set-up does take out the guesswork regarding the number of wraps. One nice thing is it also acts as an hourmeter.

You should be fine tapping into the light power. I think he said it's a problem when you tap into the ignition.

The guy at Trail Tech said to make sure and hit LEFT + MODE to reset, before trying the temp. sensor.

Top Bottom