dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Can anyone give me some suggestions on any good brands of enclosed trailers? I’m looking for a trailer around 6X8 to haul 2 to 3 bikes. I’ll be towing it with a Toyota Tacoma. Also I defiantly want some kind of breaking system on it. Is it possible to find what I want for around 2 grand?

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
What no one? Well I think I found a haulmark that I'm going to pick up. My only question is do I want to spend the extra $150 for a ramp door, or will I be happier with the barn doors?

kevinfries

Sep 11, 2004
Definately spend the extra $150 for the ramp door. Cant reccomend any trailers though, i just know you will be much happier with a ramp door.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
I have a Interstate

It works very well and I have modified it for my purposes. I really can't tell you that I agree with your size choice though. I have a larger trailer (6 x 12) and when I go to the races it works very well with all the stuff I need and 2 bikes (although I could haul 4 if needed). I think you will find that if you want to haul 3 bikes 10 ft is as short as you should even consider (load two front facing and one rear facing). Even a 10 foot you will find very small within a brief time once you load three bikes, gear, etc. If I had to do it over, I would get a 14 and so it could be shelter in inclement weather with a side awning to cover the bikes and/or a covered sitting area.

I chose the cargo doors for a couple of reasons. Where I live the ramp door just adds more feet to the calculation and farther I have to hang out into the street to unload. Also when the space is tight in race areas or gathering areas this is a consideration. In inclement weather the ramp is either open or shut (there is no in between with a ramp door). With the cargo door I can close one and have one open etc. I throw an easy up over the rear of the trailer and cargo doors so you get some transition area.

Look for a 6 x 10 single axle and if you are a wise shopper you can get it within your price range ($1900-2200.00). Also check local craigslist, etc as if you are johnny on the spot some amazing deals can be had for slightly used cargo trailers.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I spent the extra for the ramp door and I've never regretted it for a second. For 2 or 3 bikes I would not go smaller than 6x12. I have a 6x12 and also wished I had gone for a 7x14 tandem but it would have presented towing issues for practice days. You can get 5 bikes in a 6x12 if you load them at an angle. We usually haul 2 bikes but by the time I add toolbox, powerwasher barrel, power washer, 2 pit tents, spare parts, generator, riding gear, gas cans, lawn chairs and whatever else isn't bolted down in the garage :laugh: there isn't a lot of extra room left over.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
My Dad has an 8X16 w the double doors. He is currently in the process of putting a ramp door on. He got this trailer dirt cheap and didn't complain, but after having to deal with the ramp can be a pain. It's definitely worth the extra money for the gate.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
We have a Pace now and I am very impressed. Pace makes several "lines" of trailers with varying levels of quality, as do most of the bigger names. I looked but couldn't find prices at http://paceamerican.com

I've had both ramp and barn door. The ramp is nice for loading and unloading, but make sure you get a good non-skid surface put / painted on it. I don't know that it is worth much over the barn door considering how easy it is to load dirtbikes with a small, portable ramp.

Oh yeah, whatever you get, make sure you paint / Rhinoline / cover the floor before it ever gets used or whatever you put down likely won't stick as well due to oil on the floor.

I also didn't see anything that small with its own brakes.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I purchased a 5' x 10' Interstate "Loadrunner" trailer about 6 weeks ago and overall I'm very happy with my purchase. After looking at trailers locally I felt it was the best value. I paid $1950. A big sale point for me was the complete underside is undercoated, not just the floor supports like the Cargomate or Doo Little trailers I looked at. I have one large barn door on the back and a side door. If I had to do it again I think I would prefer two smaller barn doors that open to each side. This way they open flat to the sides. My barn door does not open flat to the side, but this is due to the hinge design/location as its in-set on the back instead of being at the corner.

Two bikes fit good, but it does get tight. Three bikes would fit with one facing back words, but it would take some creative loading to make it happen.

Here is the link to Interstates web site:

http://www.interstatecargo.com/help/default.aspx

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
highmileage said:
I would get a 14 and so it could be shelter in inclement weather with a side awning to cover the bikes and/or a covered sitting area.

i have a 6x12. if i had it to do over, i would get a 14. i am happy with the barn doors.

i bought an 8x10 rv awning and attached it to my trailer. it works great.

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Thanks for all the replies! I agree with getting a bigger trailer, having had a couple open utility trailers in the past I always wished I went bigger. Only two things are holding me back from a 6X12, first is my truck, do you think a Tacoma with a V6 could handle it? The second is the money, I'll have to see what the price differences are.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I have a 6x12 single axle with barn doors. I prefer the barn door as it created additional wall space for hooks, shelving etc. I used to tow it with a Ford F150 V6. It worked fine, but you definitely knew it was back there. I now tow it with a V8. I bought my 6x12 used ($1600). Its a 99, came with a water barrel (60 gal), deep cycle battery and stereo CD built in. I glued down a floor - don't do that. The oil and gas spills will peel that stuff right up.
All that said, I totally dig my trailer...Usually stuff is loaded and ready to go, and I now have floor space in the garage :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Well I am going to confuse things even more. Have you considered the 7'-0" width?

I have a 7x14 internal wheel well twin axle trailer and the extra width above the wheel wells is nice to take advantage of. I have tables turned on edge on one wheel well and cots tied down on the other. That leaves the floor free. I can carry 4 bikes comfortably and I have eaten up 2 feet out of the front with a cabinet across the trailer. The dead triangle corner left after the last bike is loaded has a cabinet that holds my tools, air tank and battery/charger for my 12V interior lights.

For the record I pull it with a 2500 Duramax/Allison and I am aware it is there. The trailer is bigger than you are mentioned, but it is bigger than I expected to need also. At this point I am seriously considering going to a gooseneck trailer and will likely go with a 24 foot box with an 8 foot neck. This new trailer is rated 11,000 pounds gross and this is about the limit that the 2500 will pull when "fully" loaded, but with bikes, gear and the trailer I expect to actually never exceed about 8,000 pounds total. I will still have a fair amount of sailboat fuel in the trailer.

Anyway, back on point ... Personally, I would look at the wider widths. There are more used 6'-0" widths on the market though.

Top Bottom