Trails in SC (Manchester, Francis Marion, ETC.)

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
Glad to see so many local folks on this forum!!! I live in Elgin...just northeast of Columbia. I'm brand new to this sport and have been riding at Manchester. I thought all of those whoops in the trails down there were just normal, but after reading this, I see that this isn't so! All of them whooped up trails motivated me to try the mx track which I enjoy more.

I haven't tried TNT yet. A friend of mine in Rock Hill told me that TNT is dangerous because it is usually so crowded? Any comments there? Given my spode status, is this something I should be worried about? I have read so many good things about TNT that it must be pretty cool. The pictures and video of Gomer are terrific!!! You make all of those jumps look way too easy!

I'd love to meet/ride with you guys anytime! I'm a newb looking for friends!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by linusb
I haven't tried TNT yet. A friend of mine in Rock Hill told me that TNT is dangerous because it is usually so crowded? Any comments there? Given my spode status, is this something I should be worried about? I have read so many good things about TNT that it must be pretty cool. The pictures and video of Gomer are terrific!!! You make all of those jumps look way too easy!

TNT is only as dangerous as the rider allows it to be. If you don't hold your line on the track the faster riders will possibly land on you. Having said that it is not uncommon later in the day for the 65's to be on the track with the fast riders.

Just hold your line.

The trails are in pretty good shape and are not near as crowded.

Don't let your friend scare you off from one of the best riding spots around. I have been riding there for 3 years and when I first go there I'd putt around in 1st gear around the whole thing. I would not go out when it was really crowded but it usually goes in waves so just time your breaks right if you are worried about the other riders.

Ivan

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Linus! I used to have an Elgin address when I lived in Briarcliff.

I now live off Clemson Road. We need to get together!

BTW, Scott, I'm so hip I need 2 pairs of pants!

KXrider12

Sponsoring Member
Jan 2, 2002
i havent heard anything bout strawberryhill mx. Has anyone here ridin it lately, i was invited o go ride with some of my friends and i wanted to know the condition.

bambooi

Sep 7, 2003
any other riders near bennettsville? I go to clemson, but this semester i'm in bville interning/cooping. I am originally from Sburg where truespode lives.

USC Rider

Sep 23, 2003
Hi all,

I'm a student at USC and I've always been interested in learning how to ride a bike, and I've always been fascinated with off-road/trail motorcycling. I think I might be close to convincing my parents to let me get a bike...

As I said, I go to school in Columbia, but my family lives in Charleston. I'm a complete newbie, so where are the best trails/best places to go riding in SC? Any near Charleston?

Anyway, as I mentioned: I'm completely new to this, so where can I go to get info about learning to ride on trails/off-road? Are there special classes to take? Is a special lincense or permit needed to ride off-road or on trails?

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
Do you have a truck to haul a dirt bike? A place to keep it? If both these answers are yes, look in the Carolina Trader or ebay and find a decent bike. Have you ever ridden a motorcycle of any kind before? If not, there is a large sand field off of Clemson Rd that is just flat where people frequently ride. It would be an ideal and close spot in Columbia where you could simply learn to ride. After that, you have TNT in Chester, SC and Manchester State Forest in Sumter. If you go to either of those two locations, you'll find lots of riding buds.

I would figure about $2500-3000 for a decent used bike and maybe $500-700 for safety gear...a helmet and boots are most critical.

USC Rider

Sep 23, 2003
Originally posted by linusb
Do you have a truck to haul a dirt bike? A place to keep it? If both these answers are yes, look in the Carolina Trader or ebay and find a decent bike. Have you ever ridden a motorcycle of any kind before? If not, there is a large sand field off of Clemson Rd that is just flat where people frequently ride. It would be an ideal and close spot in Columbia where you could simply learn to ride. After that, you have TNT in Chester, SC and Manchester State Forest in Sumter. If you go to either of those two locations, you'll find lots of riding buds.

I would figure about $2500-3000 for a decent used bike and maybe $500-700 for safety gear...a helmet and boots are most critical.

Haha, I guess it really sucks to be me. There are plenty of "Motorcycle-only" lots on campus, so storing the bike is no problem, but I have no way to transport it. :(

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
USC Rider. You need to get a dual Sport bike. That's a street legal dirt bike. I lived near USC (just moved to Lexington) and you can find all sorts of old roads and trails if you look for them. I know a great practice area that I rode for 6 years behind the farmers market, next to the Williams Brice stadium. It's loaded with berms and has a short but technical trail.
Do you at least have mountainbike skills? That will help you learn faster.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom