Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
My folks at the shop like the Golden Spectrum, 80W for the trans. I also use the stuff for my gas, Golden Spectrum is good, I am sure there is other stuff that works well too.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
If you want to save a little money, use ATF type F in your tranny. If you want to save a lot of work, don't use Golden Spectro pre-mix oil. It is terrible in regards to power-valve cleanliness, it gums them up worse than any other oil that I have tried.

ian

Oct 9, 2000
would Bel-Ray be ok? It has in it Bel-Ray 10w40 from the previous owner. Sould i use 10w40 still, or 10w30...i'm not familiar with the 80 weight, 90 weight system.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Spanky,Thanks for the update. Can you tell me what you suggest? After reading this I am now starting to realize why I have so much carbon or exhaust resin.Duh.:eek:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
ian,

you will most likely be fine with either. Change it often.

If you do a search on this topic you will find dozens of posts covering the issue of "what oil to use".

Personnally I am so confused that i use a differnet type of oil each time i change it just to be sure. ;)

Actually - i use 10W40 and change it after every ride or two. Takes minutes and costs relatively nothing.:)

TMKDXER

Sep 18, 2001
don't use Golden Spectro pre-mix oil. It is terrible in regards to power-valve cleanliness, it gums them up worse than any other oil that I have tried.
I dont know what everybody's beef is with Golden Spectro.I've used it in every two stroke I own,even my weed-whacker with no problems. Ran it in my kdx right after i bought it last spring, did a top end this summer. The piston was beyond toasted but G.S. saved my ass on the new top end, though I did go .040" over just for fun.
Anyway, Ian in the winter run 10w/30or 40, in the summers switch to 20w/50. done it for years never had a trans problem. Ran 85w/90 this summer for 2 weeks with less than acceptable results.:think

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by ian
would Bel-Ray be ok? It has in it Bel-Ray 10w40 from the previous owner. Sould i use 10w40 still, or 10w30...i'm not familiar with the 80 weight, 90 weight system.
10W 40 is fine. 80W gear oil is approximately equivelant in viscosity to 30W engine oil.

Originally posted by Asrith
Spanky,Thanks for the update. Can you tell me what you suggest? After reading this I am now starting to realize why I have so much carbon or exhaust resin.Duh.:eek:
Some of your carbon build-up is probably the result of rich jetting, but Golden Spectro also leaves a lot of deposits. i switched from GS to Yamalube 2R, and my power-valves and exhaust port stay much cleaner now. There are other clean-burning oils as well, such as Maxima Super M.

Originally posted by TMKDXER

I dont know what everybody's beef is with Golden Spectro.I've used it in every two stroke I own
If you have never used a different oil, then how can you know if Golden Spectro is better or worse than any other? GS is fine as far as the lubrication chores. It just tends to leave the power-valves and exhaust ports very dirty and gummy, and makes the power-valves get sticky. Golden Spectro is a fairly old oil as far as pre-mix oils go, and many of the newer formulations run much cleaner. GS has a very high flash point, so it tends to cause a fair amount of spooge, as well. I run Yamalube at 32:1 and do lots of slow woods riding, yet I get almost zero spooge from my exhaust. I used to have a constantly dripping silencer when I ran Golden Spectro.

Last edited:

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I tried Bel Ray, Spectro & others in my KDX transmission but have had the best shifting with Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic. I too have had good luck with Yamalube but an currently using Mobil MX2T at 32:1.

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Oils Oils Oils

I have used 10w-30 and 10w40 in my transmission without any real complaints. However, I recently switched to Amsoil 75w-90 synthetic gear lube. I did this because normal engine oils are supposedly more prone to breaking down in a transmission. The way I figure, an oil that is made to be used between gears has got to be better than an oil that is made to lubricate the parts of an engine. Plus, the gear lube has been recommended to me by a few different dealers.

As far as premix is concerned, I currently use Amsoil 2000 at 50:1. I ran that mix all last summer with no problems, and I notice the bike runs very well, with no excess "spooge" coming from the exhaust. I haven't tried many other premix oils, but this works very well.

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
As mentioned before, change often. One other tip that was told to me by the KDX guru, Jeff Freddette, is to forget actually measuring out the 800ml and just dump in the entire quart.
It gives you that much more oil to float clutch particles in and helps cooling by having more contact to the aluminum housing.
No more measuring and partial bottles either.
Since the tranny isn't under pressure, there's no problem with the overfill.

I like Amsoil 2000, but lately I have been running Mobil 1 Synthetic 2 stroke oil. Get it at AutoZone...:confused:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Oh boy!! An oil thread!!!!

Certainly agree with, 'whatever you use, change it often.' That's good advice.

1. Belray gear oil. My riding buddy uses it. I don't. I ride everywhere he does. His clutch is toast. Mine is fine. He's not particularly a clutch burner.

2. Belray H1R topend oil. Stuck my brand new ('00 200) bike using this 'great' oil. Cold seize (intake). You couldn't GIVE me that stuff.

re: whole quart in the case. You have plenty of oil in 32oz to use a bit of it to 'flush' the case after it drains. Get a good deal more junk out that way. Then use the balance (still well over spec) to 'overfill' the tranny for clutch peace.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
CC

I never think to flush the trans. Grat idea, thanks for the tip. I tried to build a better magnetic drain plug than the Moose unit with a rare earth magnet but can't keep it epoxied to an appropriate drain bolt. Sure wish someone would make a magentic plug with some power.

Jim

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
adding another penny (to my .02 worth)

re: all this hotrod 2 stroke oil.

No, it's not the same..and you may well call it apples and oranges, BUT!..

I ran Quaker State 30W in the oil injection system of my R5. Manual said to take off the head to scrape the carbon every 1000 klicks. Ha! First time I had the heads off was for my first top end job.....at 47,000 miles!! Got about 600 miles on a quart, too! I couldn't tell you the number of times I was told how unreliabe 2 strokes were...that you couldn't GO anywhere on 'em.

ha!!! summore!!!

Ah...those were the days................

Now I ride a state of the art (well, kawi art) dirt bike every weekend in some of the best country you can imagine.

Ah....these are the days..................

:)

Top Bottom