KDXrider045

May 23, 2003
Yup, another oil thread

Curious to what everyone is using in the transmission. Motorcycle specific or just off the shelf 10W30/40? Also, what is everyone using to clean their air filters, I usually use gasoline. I've heard some people just hot water and dishwashing detergent, also kerosene.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I use Mobil 1 10w-30 in the tranny, seems to shift better.

I use Dawn dishwashing liquid and very hot water to clean the air filter.

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
I use Maxima MTL 85wt gear oil. It's about 5 bucks a quart. For air filter maintenance I've started using Notoil. It's great stuff and and can be cleaned with hot water.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
No way dishwashing liquid is going to remove regular filter oil. I mean it certainly wouldn't clean it off my hands, so it's not going to clean it all out of the filter. I use the solvent in my parts washer to clean them, followed by a good soaking in a bucket of water with dishwashing liquid (to ensure all the solvent is out). I'd probably go with something like No Toil if I didn't have a parts washer, but then again, everyone should have a parts washer!

I've used Valvoline Racing oil in 20W-50 for a long time since it's got many of the heavy load additives like the bike-specific ones but is only ~$2 at any auto parts stores. Used to use Mobil 1 "red cap" until they changed the formulation and started adding friction modifiers. I'm now using AMSOIL HD diesel oil, which is what LaRocco uses in his bike. Some guys swear by ATF but since it's no cheaper than Valvoline Racing and no bike mfr specifies it, I don't see the point.

Realistically, as long as there are no friction modifiers in it (death to the wet clutch), changing it frequently is more important than how much you spend on the oil.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
KDXrider045,

Do a search on oil and I'm sure that you'll find as many opinions as you will oil choices.

Here's the skinny (or at least my take) on gearbox oil.

Modern automotive oils (SJ) contain friction modifiers and other additives to help auto engines achieve better fuel mileage. While these modifiers don’t present a problem for the gearbox, they are problematic for wet clutches. They are simply too slippery for our use. Here are your choices…

1) Buy motorcycle specific oils;
2) Buy automotive oil that does not say, “energy conserving”. This would apply to some 10w-40 oils and most (if not all) 20w-50 multi-weight oils;
3) Buy gear oil;
4) Use automotive transmission (Type F is the most common cited).

They only reason not to use motorcycle specific oils is the high cost. If you change fluids frequently you will spend a considerable amount of money on gearbox oil. Any of the above will perform well provided that you change oil before it has lost its ability to lubricate.

What do I use? It doesn’t matter – like I said there are as many opinions on this subject as there are oil choices. You can use all of the above safely within limits.

Regarding filters, I highly recommend No-Toil. The product is 100% biodegradable. The filters can be safely washed in your kitchen sink with the supplied solvent/cleaner.

Once again, there are many opinions out there, but petroleum based oils require harsh chemicals to clean the filter and leave you with a dilemma regarding the disposal of the solvents. Moreover, you handle enough harmful chemicals just owning/maintaining a motorcycle (brake cleaner, oil, carb cleaner, brake fluid, fuel, cable lube)…wouldn’t be nice to remove one from the list.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom