Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
One of our home pc's was running poorly all of the sudden so I started looking into it and found it to be infected with the virus Trojan.Narat. Followed Symantec's instructions but Norton's couldn't repair/quarantine/delete the infected file (MSnarrator.exe). Finally uninstalled my Norton's 2002 and installed Norton's 2003 that I had for the other PC and when I got it all up to date it didn't find any infection, also the file MSnarrator.exe was no longer in my C:\Windows folder. Figured oh well the old Norton's must have taken it out and was just misreporting that it couldn't manage it.

Figured all was well as the PC seems to be running fine and the noticeable virus activity and windows registry entries are back to normal. Open IE to browse the net and I get a Norton's notice that it found the virus yet again in the same location and has deleted the file. Everytime I switch web pages it finds the virus again and deletes it. I've checked and the virus is no longer in this location and my frustration is mounting.

I've done repeated full system scans of all files and Norton's doesn't find any infection. XP system restore is currently turned off so it's not restoring the virus. I've tried two Trojan removers and neither of them have found the trojan although I suspect that is due to the trojan being newly discovered 2 days ago.

Before I head for format c: does anyone else have any ideas?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
have you tried the online trojan remover from norton? sometimes they have a stand alone version.Often virus's attacks the anti virus program itself and so stop it working properly.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Hmmm didn't try an online scan from Norton's didn't know about it. I tried everything I could think of including scanning off the rescue disk in DOS and still no luck. About 2AM yeserday I finally admitted defeat, backed up my data and formatted :|

Top Bottom