Trying my hand at shooting panoramas

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This is my first attempt at shooting a panorama. It's a boring picture that is missing any near or middle reference points, but it did teach me some good lessons about this type of shooting.

It's 8 pictures stitched together using PTGui. ( http://www.ptgui.com/ Free demo available )

I shot them at ISO100, 18mm, 25 seconds at F16 using a Nikon 18-200 VR lens. I was on a bridge that shakes badly when cars drive over it, so even with the VR set to it's maximum (Active mode) the images are a bit soft.

I used a RRS ball head with an RRS Nodal slide and RRS Pano clamp to do the panorama sections.

Once you figure out the nodal point for your lenses the RRS Pano setup works really great.

Now I have to find some more interesting subject matter, and keep practicing. ;)

Attachments

• Bridge_pano_DRN.jpg
    Bridge_pano_DRN.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 171

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Here's what the RRS Pano setup looks like.

My camera has an Arca style quick release L bracket on the body to make it quicker and easier to shoot from a tripod (which I do most of the time ;) ) . The bottom of the Nodal slide (the long bracket) has a quick release dovetail so you can pop the Pano slide/clamp on & off the ball head really quickly, and the slide also has a quick release for the camera L bracket. You can pop the Pano stuff on in a couple of seconds, with no hassles. It will be easy to carry it along and pop in on quick if something interesting presents itself. Cool stuff.

Attachments

• pano_clamp_1_drn.jpg
    pano_clamp_1_drn.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 160
  • pano_clamp_2_drn.jpg
    pano_clamp_2_drn.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 168

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks Squid. The scenery for sure is awesome, the picture is just a boring postcard shot. But for a first attempt I'm pleased becuase I now have a much better idea of what lens to use and how much I need to fill the frame for the "look" I want. Using near, middle and far reference points seems all the more important after seeing the individual pictures and the end results with them combined. Like they say, every bad picture is a step towards your next great one. :cool:

Here's a couple of versions of the same shot in B&W.

The color and the B&W pics are a little more interesting when you can see them full size. I guess 700 pixels across just isn't enough for panorama shots. :)

Attachments

• Bridge_pano_BWSel_DRN.jpg
    Bridge_pano_BWSel_DRN.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Bridge_pano_BW_Sepia_DRN.jpg
    Bridge_pano_BW_Sepia_DRN.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Bridge_pano_BW_DRN.jpg
    Bridge_pano_BW_DRN.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 147

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili said:
Based on that setup the shots are taken in portrait orientation?

Doug - I shot it that way so I would have more angle of view and pixels to work with top to bottom. I'm going to try it with my super wide angle 10-20mm lens and see how it looks .

I scouted a spot looking back at the city from the lake side (Olive Park beach for the locals) that should make a great pano shot at sunrise or sunset. I'll have to use a longer lens so it should be interesting to see what happens.

It's fun trying to learn how to optimize these shots. :yeehaw:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
One more from the same night.

Attachments

• Bridege_pano_0_DRN.jpg
    Bridege_pano_0_DRN.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 143

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Awesome colors/pics Rich. Good thing you didn't get mugged with all that exspensive gear! I like the middle b/w photo too, has that 1940's look. :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ChopperDave said:
Awesome colors/pics Rich. Good thing you didn't get mugged with all that exspensive gear!

Dave - Every now and then I get the eyeball from some scumbag trolling around down there. I dig deep and respond with my best "I won't hesitate to throw your low rent thievin ass off the bridge" look, which usually gets them moving along. Either that or it's the pipe I have in the hammer pocket of my carpenter's pants. I guess either one is a possibility. ;)

Top Bottom