Trying to remove rear axle from 98 YZ125

CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
Jesus! :bang:

I took the nut/washer off the right side of the bike, and I'm guessing now I should just be able to slide the axle out from the left side? I have the shop manual - but it just says to remove the axle - nothing on how it comes out.. I banged on the right side with a mallet and it won't budge. I don't want to crank on it harder in case I'm missing something...

This is my first bike, and first time attempting to take this wheel off (changing bearings) so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

chevyss_98

Feb 26, 2006
hmm, if i remember correctly, you can pull it out on the side where you "DID NOT" take the nut off, ie. the head of the axle, it may be a bit hard to get out, getting mine out was not easy, have something under the frame of the bike for it to fall on, and make sure the weight of the bike is still on the tire, otherwise it will be a bitch to get off trust me

just make sure you have a jack or a stand handy or it could be interesting lol

simple as that, i took a rubber mallot to mine to get it out, should just be one good swing, also try getting a small piece of metal rod and a hammer and tapping itout, itll come, old grease can be a pain in the butt

jonboyf

Aug 12, 2007
spray pentrating oil in alongside the axle, thread thenut back on to protect the threads and tap both ways with a hammer. it should break free. sray lube into wheel bearing area too

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Get a bigger hammer.

Try not to flare the end of the axle or you will be scr3wed. A brass hammer against the axle and a small sledge hitting the brass hammer should do the trick.

This is a common problem when guys don't clean and lube their axle each time they remove the wheel.

CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
Thanks guys - guess I'll just try harder :)

Am I going to hurt anything if I take a propane torch to it? I'm guessing that might loosen it up a bit, no?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
No, it'll make the axle grow in diameter and that will make it tighter. Your axle is stuck to the collar in your wheel bearings. The bearings are in the hub so the heat is not going to help you.

I'm not kidding when I say hit it harder. Once the rust is broke loose it will come out. Clean up your axle with light sand paper and grease it before you use it again.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
If you have a rubber dead blow helmet that will do the trick. Once you get the axle flush with the swingarm, you can use a socket extension to help bang it the rest of the way through. Just put the side that attaches to the ratchet against your axle and bang on the end that the socket attaches to. That will punch it through for you. After you get the axle out, get some penetrating oil and a wire brush or steel wool and scrub as much muck and rust off that axle as you can. After that, make sure to put a skim coat of high temp grease on the axle before you put it all back together. Doing so will make sure rust isn't as much of an issue in the future, and it will also keep things running more smoothly by not binding up. Good luck...

Dec 8, 2007
If you feel like you need to hit it really hard, thread the nut back on so its flush with the top. It will minimize deformation. If you put the bike on its side with the axle threads up and brace the swingarm with wood between it and the floor you will increase the effectiveness of your blows by preventing swingarm flex.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
ignition retard said:
If you feel like you need to hit it really hard, thread the nut back on so its flush with the top. It will minimize deformation. If you put the bike on its side with the axle threads up and brace the swingarm with wood between it and the floor you will increase the effectiveness of your blows by preventing swingarm flex.

Yep and use a big hammer!

CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
Thanks for the help guys - I'll be tackling this tonight.

whizzit - I'm guessing that was a smart remark (in which case you know what you can go do to yourself :)). Yes, I asked because I wasn't sure if I was missing a step, or if it should just slide out.

I've been wrenching on cars since I was 14 - this is my first bike - which means it's the first bike I've ever wrenched on.

I'm sorry if it's a dumb question - everyone has to start somewhere, right? I'd rather ask and be sure than to just start beating on it just to realize I missed a pin or something.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
CousinLarry said:
I'm sorry if it's a dumb question - everyone has to start somewhere, right? I'd rather ask and be sure than to just start beating on it just to realize I missed a pin or something.

Not a dumb question at all, nice to make sure before you wreck an expensive part learning a lesson. :cool:

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Don't sweat it, there's always a joker in the pile!

The bearings are easier to replace than the stuck axle your dealing with. By the way, if the guy you bought it from let the axle go to hell your swing arm and linkage bearings are going to be a real chore too.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Can you put a wrench on the axle and turn it?

Try turning the axle while you tap on it lightly with a rubber mallet. The combination of the twist and push might encourage it to slide out.

I would resist the tempation to hit it harder. If you mushroom the end or mess up the threads you will be looking for a new axle.

Spray some WD-40, Liquid Wrench or other penetrating solvent onto any part of the axle you can get to. There is probably a ridge of "crud" built up on the axle that is locking it into place. A little solvent will help things out a lot.

Rod

CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
Jesus christ. I just spent another hour on the thing.. Spraying penetrator all over it, smacking it with the mallet, twisting the other side, etc..

The thing twists freely, and now has about an inch of play, but it's weird.. I can pull on the other side till it jams and it CLANKS like it's actually catching something.. Not like it's got crud on it and it can't squeeze through.

This is going to make my head assplode. hahaa

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
it might have wobbled in the past and maybee put a grovve on the axle??? thus catching the spacers keep working on ti it will come out or get a really really big hammer??

redridercr

Feb 11, 2008
Not really sure but when you put it back to gether i would put some anti seize or a little bit of grease on it makes it a little bit easier in the long run

CousinLarry

Dec 19, 2006
I'm worried about denting or bending the swing arm - should I not worry about that? I don't want to cause some major damage..

I even put a crowbar on the other side and tried to pry it out - no dice.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
ignition retard said:
Drive it as far as you can this way. Stand it up and drive it back like a quarter of an inch. Then go back to the above method. I like a brass hammer against the nut threaded down flush with the end, and a 2 pound sledge.

awhtx

Oct 10, 2007
It sounds like something has cut a groove in your axle- maybe a frozen up bearing. If it comes out 1" and then locks up I would cut the head of the axle off and drive it out the other direction. If the axle is grooved you're going to need a new one any way so cutting the head off doesn't waste it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom