MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Well haven riden both and owning the tt-r250 i would say the xr250 has better suspension but not by much, I mean it isnt anything great and neather is the tt-r250's suspension, but the tt-r250 has more torque down low but not too much on the top! Have to tap dance on the shifter in order to stay in the band! The low bark band that is!! :) :)

------------------
"You know your introuble when you see the landing ramp, before you land"
--TTR-250 MX--
My Photos

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
I have a TT-R 250 and have owned a bunch of XR 250's over the years. We have several of the 96 or newer XR's in our group and I have spent a reasonable time on them.

After riding each bike, I can say they are comparable bikes. I feel the suspension on the TT-R is a little better stock than the XR especially in tight trail riding situations when you want your suspension to aborb the impact on roots, logs. etc.

Performance is very similair, I wouldn't give either bike an advantage over the other. The XR is a little less weight but the TT-R has the happy button.

In our group, the obvious choice is the TT-R because several that were previously riding XR's are now on TT-R's. I think the reason, with most other things being basically equal, the happy button was the deciding factor in favor of the TT-R....CRX

------------------

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Stock it would be more which fit your style better or felt best to you than which is best. But if you plan on eventually doing mod work (sending them out to be rebuilt to fit your size, weight and such) I would think the Yamaha would be the way to go as it has almost an inch more travel than the XR. I would think that would give it more potential for serious tuning.

Oh, just a note, all the serious dirt bikes have had over a foot of travel since the late 80s and neither of these do.
------------------

[This message has been edited by HiG4s (edited 04-22-2001).]

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I guess i have to ask why go into a deal knowing you are going to make all kinds of changes? The Yamaha WR250F might be better from even a cost point of view. Modifications are a crap shoot and cost money. (Or any of the many serious four strokes out there...everything from the new and inexpensive Husqvarna's to KTM's)

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I have to assume from the question that this person isn't looking for a tempermental full race machine, so I would not reccommend a WR. Besides I have sat on a WR and it has motocross suspension, way to stiff for easy trail riding. The better alternative if you aren't set on a 4-stroke is a KDX200, more power, more suspension, lighter, and cheaper than a TTR250 or an XR250.

------------------

Dougie

Mar 2, 2000
I wouldn't rule out the Suzuki DRZ 250. I'm looking for a new 250 for my wife who is riding 91 XR250. She loves the Honda and I am wild about the durability and bulletproof engine.

But I have also looked at both the TTR and the DRZ. I found the TTR to be the heaviest of all three by long shot. I test rode the DRZ and I liked it quite a bit. PLUS, it also has electric start but weighs less than the TTR and better, feels and responds like it weighs like an XR. The supsension is a woods suspention and while I thought it was a little spongey, it still seemed smooth and responsive.

We'll probably end up with the XR250 cause we know what we are getting but if I can talk into the electric start, it would definately be the DRZ over the TTR.

------------------
Dougie
'99 WR400 with a lot of extra dumb, stupid, here take my money, I have to have them but they don't make be a better rider mods.  My wife is not happy.

BIG_AIR2003

Sep 5, 2000
I was interested in the YZ250F and then realized I would be doing mostly trails and looked into a WR250F but the price was to high for me so I've been looking at some other 4-stroke trail bikes like the DRZ250 and a KLX 300. my older brothe has a KDX 200 and I like the power but preffer a 4-stroke.

------------------

spakins

Feb 21, 2000
For the same or less money you can get a KLX. Dirt Rider or Dirt Bike (can't remember which) has compared the three more than once and chose the KLX300 as the better bike each time. You won't regret going for the extra 50cc in engine. I have a DRZ400, but came off of a KLX. I miss the KLX (not enough to drop 100cc, but I miss it still). When I had the bike I did some extensive riding with a hopped up XR250. I think it actully had somewhere around 280cc. I gould still pull it in all situations with my stock KLX
My $.05

------------------

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
eather which way you go, you will be getting a good bike. Although the XR does have a TON more mods than the TT-R

------------------
"You know your introuble when you see the landing ramp, before you land"
--TTR-250 MX--
My Photos

Top Bottom