A930Turbo

Dec 27, 2002
Have an '03 TTR 250 and was looking to upgrade the exhaust and gearing for a little more punch on the low end.

Any one have any experiences with an exhaust upgrade to a Big Gun, White Brothers, or Yoshimura? I'm not looking to waking up the dead, but a more throaty sound would be nice. A buddy has the Big Gun and said it made a little difference on his with the total exhaust system, a rejet and air filter.

What about gearing? Any thoughts on making it a little quicker on the low end with a new sprocket set?

Regards,
Jim

Jekel

Dec 22, 2001
We put a FMF Megamax on my wifes TTR250, Excellent results. Also got rid of the boat anchor weight of stock. Went up 1 or mabey 2 sizes on the main jet also. Nice performance increase.

A930Turbo

Dec 27, 2002
I went to our local Yamaha dealer and all he could find was a front sprocket with 12 teeth which I got and installed. He could only find an aluminum rear that would have to be custom made? None a vailable in steel!

As I sprained my ankle last week, I can't test out the new front sprocket for a few more weeks. :(

Jekel, Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look at the FMF and the Big Gun, but first I want to see what the gear does for me.

Jim

cmott

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2001
You might want to look into the factory upgrade GYT-R, it says it fits 99-02, but I think the 03 is the same

"This GYT-R high performance kit includes a high-compression piston, our GYT-R free flowing muffler, and a freer flowing air filter. Fits '99-'02 TT-R250."

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/accesso...=4&mid=34&connavid=23&sconnavid=2304&pid=1144

With the High Comp piston and Muffler it should give you lots more power, but kind of spendy. $453.25

A930Turbo

Dec 27, 2002
cmott,

I saw that in their catalog earlier, but it seemed like a drastic step rather than using bolt on parts like I've done to my car. Started with 282 crank HP and now I'm at 406 at the crank with just bolt on mods.

I can rebuild a V8 engine and do all my own work on my Porsche 911 Turbo, but I know squat about a bike. How hard is it to R&R the piston and cylinder? The exhaust and air filter would be no problem.

Jim

beyerj

Dec 2, 2001
I have the Pro-circuit T-4 silencer on an 01' TTR-250. Nice throaty sound with a decent full range power gain. Also, a bolt in spark arrester can be added for trails that require it.

Top Bottom