Turkey Bay LBL Ride Sept. 11

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
DANGIT you guys I LOVE riding St. Joe. I take a couple 4 day trips a year their....

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Alright....we're back in. I hate to leave all you guys running around LBL like chickens with no heads. ;) I don't feel right, backing out (unlike some others! :moon: ) I'd like to ride with Eddie, but we'll head up to St. Joe some other time. And we'll see so much of Mike and Patrick at DW, it won't kill us to miss them on this ride. :p

Plus we love showing new guys around! :yeehaw:

What time does everyone want to get started tomorrow?

For you guys camping, the best spot is the first parking lot on the left side of the road. It's about 1/2 mile down the road from the guard gate. There are no trail heads there (less traffic) and there is plenty of shade.

If anyone needs to contact me, my cell # is 270-559-0698. Once you get into LBL you won't have signal, and the only place in TB you can get a signal is either at the guard gate or at the end of the road on the shoreline.

It's gonna be dry, dusty, and looooose. Hope you guys are ready!

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Oh, yeah...I'll be in this truck. On a black and orange KTM450 with an oversize tank, and dad is on a WR426.

Attachments

• truck small2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 97

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I'm not sure the St. Louy boys have recovered from it yet. ;)

We had a good ride. It was dusty as it could be, but we still had a good time! We definately made some new good riding buddies! :cool: Got to see a few guys loop out on a couple of hills. And witnessed a Castrol oil, engine test! Brad rode the first 20+ miles with NO OIL in his KDX! Clutch never slipped, never missed a gear. The thing ran great with about 1 oz. of oil in it!

The highlight of the ride for me was the pork that the guys smoked! Man that was the most tender and juicy piece of meat I've ever eaten!

You missed another good one, John!

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
CAL said:
And witnessed a Castrol oil, engine test! Brad rode the first 20+ miles with NO OIL in his KDX! Clutch never slipped, never missed a gear. The thing ran great with about 1 oz. of oil in it!
To top that, Sunday, I lost my coolant and rode probably five miles back to the truck not knowing why it was idling so erratically. Definitely bullet proof. ;)

Last edited:

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Brad,
You definitely tested that things mettle. Next time go with a bone dry chain, empty camelback, no air in your tires and no gas and we'll see how far you make it. The St. Louis boys (old men) are now on the road to recovery. Might take some time, though.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I was hoping you didnt do that test with your bike cory..... that pumpkin would have rotted!!! :rotfl: as for a kdx its still ready you shouldnt have to do a thing to it in the next couple of years! :nener: Glad to hear you guys had a good time though... I hate that I missed some good cooking too. :(
I hope to see some of you at DW :aj:
Whats up with Darby?

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Darby has been working alot lately. He will be at DW. Not sure why they haven't received his papers yet...

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I heard rumor today that the land between the lakes might be sold off. They didnt specify Turkey Bay, just said the TVA could no longer afford the land.

Is this true, and will it affect the riding park??

Great place been there twice.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I haven't heard anything. TVA hasn't managed LBL for years. The US Forestry Service manages it now. Not sure where you got your info. but sounds a little out of whack to me. I'm not sure how someone could not afford to have land that brings in 2 million visitors annually and is in the center of a $600 million dollar tourism industry... And when the federal government owns the land...who would buy it? :think:

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
CAL said:
I And when the federal government owns the land...who would buy it? :think:

I hear ya! I hope thats just a rumor,but these days you never know.

I know one of the families that owned a lot of that land that we ride on at TB. The truth is TVA/Feds basically stole the land from them many years ago. :|

Last edited:

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I shouldnt have said TVA as owner. I knew they didnt run it anymore, found that out last year down there, when a ranger stopped by my campsite and we sat down and had some coffee.

But where I heard it was my dad was camping at Wranglers, (his bike has four legs), and someone who lives in Kentucky was telling him.

But I knew some of you guys on here would know the truth, (CAL and others).

I remember the ranger being pretty optimistic about the place surviving, he said they were doing things to keep it open. Like closing for really wet days, maybe limiting the trucks to certain areas in the future, and keeping the creeks flowing free back to the lake.

Hoping to make it down there in November. Had to much going lately.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
At the last meeting, we spent a day with the USFS rangers and went out on the trails with them. They were extremely encouraging and optomistic. We specifically asked if there was ANY threat to TB closing. He said at this time, there is absolutely ZERO threat toward closing TB. And they are starting a 5 year plan to separate the trucks/buggies from the bikes/atvs. They actually have plans to build one or two full service campgrounds, and possibly open another entrance to TB in the Fenton area right on Hwy 68/80. The meeting was very reassuring. :cool:

I'm going to try and plan a big DRN ride in mid to late November. I'll probably give a few weeks between the LL ride and ours. Every year we've had a great turnout and a blast! Keep an eye on this forum for the official ride thread.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Cal, I was planning on that ride a few weeks ago, but didint work out. I dont see any reason I cant make it in November. I ll keep an eye out here.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…