Foxpilot

Jul 24, 2002
Ive rode for about 6 years, and I onyl started hearing about this recently. So when I hit a corner, I actually push down on my outside foot ontot he peg? or do I just lean my butt so the weight is pushed over to that side? Is this "counter steering"?

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
Countersteer is a poor term for a simple principle. DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT or you'll do unatural things. Do This: Sit on your bike and LEAVE HANDLEBARS STRAIGHT. Now, to go left you PUSH the ENTIRE bike over to the left while at the same time bringing your weight over to the right side or at least bring your butt to the right side of the seat. (You will now be weighting the outside peg). NOTICE that your left elbow will begin to straighten - this will actually be slightly turning the handlebar to the right unconsciously and this I think is the "countersteer". It will happen without thinking - it has to by nature. So, to turn, just think of throwing the bike over in the direction you want and getting your butt or weight over the opposite side. The harder the turn the harder you do this. It is a fluid motion. Important: get on the throttle after you start leaning-gyroscopic forces generated help keep the bike from falling over. You'll see that you can do controlled spins of the rear tire without washing out because your center of gravity is balanced where it should be (over the tires, not suspended in mid air), and your turing wheels act as a stabilizing gyro. Caution: NEVER watch ME ride. I am an older and VERY cautious beginner. But I'm sure this'll help.

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
Just wanted to ad. I recently tried different methods of consciously weighting the outside peg including pushing peg down or even pulling up on the handlebar which would in effect push my body down onto the peg. This was killing me and I couldn't go one lap without incredible muscle fatigue - though i WAS happy for the strength workout. It's NOT necessary. I've been venturing out on the "big boys" track recently. The track aways rode me. Now since this turning thing has clicked in my head, I have begun to ride the track, be where I want to be, even ride in mud!!!!! It's a sweet feeling. I do it slowly right now but definitely in control of how I want it.
BTW, remember too, that front/back body english will help control traction to rear or front as needed. Recently I've been able to keep more traction on rear tire as I can turn tighter now simply by leaning the bike over rather than sitting over the gas cap hoping to get more turning out of the front. It's an important technique but I was using it in the wrong situations.

Top Bottom