kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Bought a magnetic drain plug from Rocky Mtn. made by Tusk. Installed fine, but changed my oil this weekend and the thing snapped off in my crankcase (only the 2nd time it had been torqued)! :uh: It did pick up some trash which was cool, but it was disconcerting getting it out after it broke. I use a torque wrench at 14.5 ft/lbs everytime. Anyway called Rocky Mtn. and they credited my account no problem. Needless to say I put the stocker back in. The tusk appeared to be made of aluminum, but there were no special torque specs with the packaging. Anyway, just thought ya'll would like to know.

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
kingsxjt said:
Bought a magnetic drain plug from Rocky Mtn. made by Tusk. Installed fine, but changed my oil this weekend and the thing snapped off in my crankcase (only the 2nd time it had been torqued)! :uh: It did pick up some trash which was cool, but it was disconcerting getting it out after it broke. I use a torque wrench at 14.5 ft/lbs everytime. Anyway called Rocky Mtn. and they credited my account no problem. Needless to say I put the stocker back in. The tusk appeared to be made of aluminum, but there were no special torque specs with the packaging. Anyway, just thought ya'll would like to know.

LOL, the Tusk one I bought snapped off upon the first install, I was greatfull it broke in the garage instead of on the trail or something!

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I bought one from "MOOSE" (I think that is the brand) any way tough as nails. Shattered the drain plug area on the engine block though :bang: Put it back together with JB Weld over the course of three days :rotfl: Just shows you why to use a Torque Wrench :nod: And don't let other people tighten things too tight :think:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
My friend has had one in his XR250 and XR400 for two years now with no problems. Maybe they are making them out of a different alloy now?

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Studboy: Had a Tusk? I will say that if you look into the drain itself there is an area in the threads where there are no threads (it appears to have been machined this way). This could possibly cause a problem for the "weaker" aluminium Tusk plug. The stocker is made of steel.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I had a Moose.........did the same thing. Liked to never got it out of there. I will never ever use one again. Good idea............bad design.

Top Bottom