gerker

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2003
Did a very, very, stupid thing this past weekend. Decided to torque the drain plug on my yz400 rather than the tried and true hand tighten. I mis-read the specs and used 25lbs rather than the prescribed 17lbs. Just enough to snap the head off of the bolt. Luckily it's the plug in the frame rather than the case. Can I use an "easy-out" type extractor and do it myself or should I let a pro do it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
If the head has snapped off clean, then the remaining thread should not be jammed in the hole, ans should turn out witht a little persuasion. I would get a small flat blade screwdriver and try and get a purchase on the rough end that is left, and try and spin it out. Another way would be to try and glue a piece of dowel or similar to it, and try to turn it out when the glue has set(don't get glue in the threads though)

gerker

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2003
Snapped oil drain plug

I should have mentioned that it snapped off down inside.
The remaining bolt is about a 1/16th down.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Drill a pilot hole and use an extractor (commonly called an "Easy-out"). Drill the pilot hole in the center of the remaining bolt. If the break is not flush, it might be hard to keep the drill bit from moving while the pilot hole is being drilled. If it moves, make an indentation with a small punch. Take your time and it will be a piece of cake.

kx 85

Apr 14, 2004
Ya i did the same thing and we used the easy out system and it worked but it took alot of time and if u screw up it will cost more than a pro to do it so i wood just take er to a pro.

Top Bottom