echospheres

Apr 7, 2003
Last night, I flat landed (almost cased) a jump, I didnt fall, but once I got my head back on straight, and positioned back on the bike correctly, I noticed something didnt feel right. So I ride back to the truck and look at my bars, sure enough, my right bar is bent down. Not a huge amount, but none the less, its bent. It seems to be bent at the bar mounts. BTW they are 7/8 regular renthals.

Are bars supposed to bend that easy? Hell, my stock steel bars were better than these.

One other thing I noticed is, arm pump. Last weekend during the race, I ran a 20 minute moto, a 10 minute practice session, and a heat. Never once did my arms get pumped up. However last night, doing everything like normal, i got pumped up in no time, Some could be do to not knowing the new track that well, but even still, during my practice last week, they had 5 classes on the track at once, and I had to roll a lot of the jumps do to the cluster. Yet I never got arm pump.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
My experience is all 7/8's bars bend easily, some are just easier to bend than others. As for the arm pump, were you more tense or concentrating a little harder due to not knowing the track. Everytime I have gotten arm pump I can trace it back to holding on too tight and not even realizing I am doing it. For me it usually happens during a race and never in practice. I just relax and grip with the knee's when I get the dreaded pump and it goes away quickly. Thats always my signal to relax.

echospheres

Apr 7, 2003
should the bars really bend that easy???

I was told at the dealership something about the twinwalls being replaced if they ever got tweaked, but I didnt have $300+ to buy those and the oversized bar mount/clamps.

Do you think if i wrote or called renthal they would replace them?

I literally bought them 3 weeks ago!

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I've tweaked the 7/8" bars that easy. Figure the cost of a new set of bars everytime you fall vs. a one set of Twinwalls and clamps. You'll have to replace the Twinwalls because of fatigue issues before you bend them in most cases. I've had one set of Twinwalls for two years and had some major crashes in that time without tweaking the bars.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The oversize bars are worth the money.  Small get offs can bend standard bars and the cost of replacing them is easily made up by the difference. 

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
You can get the oversize bars for much less than $300 and they are definately worth the extra amount. You can get the Tags T2's for around $130 and the Twinwalls for around $175 if you do your shopping online. Just use oversize bar mounts. MX Bonz has a set for $46, Factory connection has a set for$55 and several others have them for that price up to $80 if you want the crossmount system. You don't need to buy the entire upper triple clamp. Just the oversize mounts. Online you can get twinwalls for $100 or Protapers for $90 at www.motosport.com. I have seen the Tag T2's for around $80 as well, so when you add in another $50 or so for the mount depending on your preference it is much better than 7/8's bars. I personally like the Factory Connection anodized mount setup.

I have Tag T2's with a MX Bonz mounting kit and spent $130 plus shipping.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i tweaked some pro tapers once in just a little tip-over in a corner. i didn't even hit the ground. i just stepped off the bike. when i picked it up, i noticed they were bent, just slightly, maybe an 1/8" but bent nonetheless.

echospheres

Apr 7, 2003
I thought adding just the oversized mounts messed with the ergonomics of the bike. I read somewhere that it raised the bar up about 3/4 of an inch, so for a taller person 3/4 is a good bit. Ive also seen something about rubber mounts, Im not sure exactly what they are, but it seems they are to help with vibration. Is this part of the tripple clamp, or the handlebar mounts?

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
They sell adapters and mounts. The oversize adapters fit into the existing mount but raise the bars up around 3/4 inch. The oversize mounts replace your existing mounts and make no change to your current setup unless you want them to. You can buy the stock or different configs to move the bars forwards and backwards. Go to WWW.factoryconnection.com to see their mounts. Honda and Kawi have rubber bar mounts and these will fit into your existing mounts. Not sure if you can add a rubber mount to a bike without them stock or not.

Don't buy the adapters, they cost as much as the MX Bonz and Factory Connection mounts. I'll try this link to see if it works for the Factory Connection setup.

http://www.factoryconnection.com/index2.htm

What I am talking about is the Factory Connection Polished Bar Mounts halfway down the page that retails for $54.95

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
That link didn't work, it takes you to the home page. When you get to the Factory Connection home page click on products. When the product page comes up click on triple clamps undeneath products at the top of the page. Then look halfway down the page for the mounts referred to above.

echospheres

Apr 7, 2003
sweet, thanks bro. Now to decide between all the over-sized bars. $130+$50 for the mounts and pro-tapers or renthal twinwalls, or just get the tag privateer set, that is 200 that includes upper tripple, bars, barpad, mounts, and grips! Anyone know about the craftsmanship of the tag bars? Ive heard of protaper and renthals everywhere, but it seems tag is something new to the market.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I have the Tag T2's and like them. No problems, but I have not crashed with them either. I have heard good things about Protapers also. Haven't heard alot about the twinwalls but they look nice also. I wouldn't get the Tag privateer set. I heard they use a cheaper triple clamp mount and when you price it out it really isn't all that cheap.

If I was hell bent on getting a triple clamp instead of a mount I would save my money and buy the RG3 top mount. Otherwise, you aren't improving that much over stock in my opinion with some of these triple clamps.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
1 1/8" bars are more than worth the money. They can be had for cheap if money is an issue for you, as it is for me. DennisKirk.com has an outlet section where you can get T2's for $50, and then 1 1/8" adapters (which work just fine) are about $20. IMO, $70 is a good price for that setup :yeehaw:

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I just saw this on ebay and thought it may interest you. I don't know anything about the seller so do your dilligence.
Mod Edit - ebay links are not allowed on i the forums

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
I can tell you that the new line of oversize bars from www.unversalmotocross.com are virtually indestructable. I had a major crash while leading a local race that took out the entire field behind me. My applied bar mounts twisted in the triple clamps, the second place guy broke his ankle, third place hit me in the head and gave me a grade two concussion, but my Universal bars are still straight. Strong bars indeed. They are only 89.00 and that inbcludes a nice bar mount pad.

BTW, Drew Kruger, who was the man behind the TAG bar designs, now is at Universal.

echospheres

Apr 7, 2003
Sweet, I emailed renthal, and they actually replied. The guy asked where I lived so he would know where to let me know to take the bars to have the looked at. So hopefully I may get it covered under warranty since they bent so easy. One step nicer would be to let me have a set of twinwalls for my inconvience. Hey, gotta look towards the future not away! :)

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I had renthal 7/8 inch on my xr, bent the first lay down. Now on my cr, I just switched to tags after bending the stock bars on my cr250, and I have had 2 major crashed, and twisted the forks and mounts all up,(bent me up too, cant ride for a month) but after putting everythinf back to normal those bars are perfect. Except i scratched the 2 in t2 off of the front ;) Any 7/8 inch bars would have been toast. Next set, go oversized.

Top Bottom