Tonyklem

Mar 2, 2006
Hey guys, my twist throttle has been sticking for a while. i can manually turn it however i want and it responds, but if i just puill it back and let go it sticks there. What are all the possibilities for this problem?

i know the slide etc are moving freely, i think it may be the cable or something with the twist throttle itself.

Thanks

titoislaidlow

May 30, 2005
Thats actually a problem that could get serious if you fall off the bike. Its most likely the throttle cable. Easy fix. Take apart the grip and throttle and clean all the dirt out, put a little grease on it, that doesnt work swap out cables and happy riding.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Is the end of the grip rubbing on the bar end?

psalm3124

Apr 21, 2005
Go with the first two suggestions (cable & throttle tube rubbing), hopefully its one of those two. If that doesn't do anything, check the carburator slide.

Tonyklem

Mar 2, 2006
hmmm actually now that i think of it, it started happening after i dropped the bike on the right side. maybe it bent the throttle.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Tonyklem said:
hmmm actually now that i think of it, it started happening after i dropped the bike on the right side. maybe it bent the throttle.

More likely it shoved some dirt in that is binding the throttle tube up.

Tonyklem

Mar 2, 2006
well i had taken it off before and put some grease in there. would that help? if anything i think it might have bent the plastic tube part.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Tonyklem said:
well i had taken it off before and put some grease in there. would that help? if anything i think it might have bent the plastic tube part.

I would think it isn't bent, as plastic doesn't normally bend and stay bent very well in an application like this. It is more likely the tube is bottoming on the bar end, or there is dirt jammed in there. The tube could have shattered, but a plastic throttle tube simply isn't an item that will hold a bend from an impact on its own. You could bend the bars inside the throttle tube and cause it bind as a result, but it isn't the plastic tube there, it is the metal handlebar end.

Tear it apart, clean it again, check the bar for straightness, and correctly reassemble and your problems will most likely be gone.

Top Bottom