scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
For those of us who didn't get enough last Sunday at Checkpoints.

December 11th & 12th

TWMC Christmas Party - 4th annual Santa's Last Knight Enduro, at Hodge Road (near Victorville). The Knight family, and company.

Directions:

Take I-15 north to Hodge Road exit (45 miles). Turn right and follow the TWMC arrows to camp (about 3 miles).

I'm planning on showing up Sunday AM.

tator

Feb 17, 2004
This will be my first TWMC ride since the High Desert Enduro. I'm so stoked I'll be there Friday morning, hopefully that will give me enough time to remember how to work the watchdog.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
What are the event details? When, course length, number of participants, cost?

Here is a link to our clubs website and directions.

http://mysite.verizon.net/sorudne/

http://mysite.verizon.net/sorudne/events.htm

Sunday Dec. 12th
Start time: 9am
Length: I don't have a route sheet yet but I would assume total distance for all three loops should not be more than 50 miles.
# of riders: I would guess about 50+
Cost: Since this is just a club gathering on BLM land and there is not cost. All of our guest riders do donate $10 if they would like to ride the event on Sunday.

Come on out and join the fun.

Last edited:

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Tator, Do you still have the TrailTech. Do you need it now that you have the WatchDog?? I'll buy it if you don't need it. I'd need the cable and the pickup too.

Can't make the Santa Knight's event, bike is only a frame and motor will be on it's way to Eric Goor's, but I hope to be up for the UEA.

Ed

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Hot off the press ..........................

RIDERS MEETING
8:00 AM

ENDURO SUNDAY
9:00 AM START

WELCOME TO BARSTOW AND ITS FAMOUS ROCKS!
MAKE SURE YOUR TIRES HAVE LOTS OF AIR. SANTA WILL BE MAKING THREE LOOPS OF APPROXIMATELY 20 PLUS MILES. BRING GAS IF NEEDED. ALL REINDEER WILL START THIRD LOOP, THEN DROPPING OFF THOSE NEW REINDEER NOVICE REINDEER, AND SUPERS. THE REMAINING DEER WILL TRAVEL THRU MOUNTAINS AND ROCKS, AND MORE ROCKS WHERE WE WILL LOSE SOME MORE OF THOSE REINDEER. THE ELITE DEERS WILL BE FLYING TO REACH THE NORTH POLE IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM THE GOOD KNIGHT RACING TEAM

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
No problem Tator. I should have kept the unit I had, but it went with the Husky. I hope to get my bike and motor back up for the UEA. If so, I'll get there Sat AM and camp like last year.

Good luck this weekend and keep it safe.

Ed

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Still no route sheet :think: :(

It looks like we'll be scrambling to program the race early Sunday AM when we arrive.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
3rd Master - sorudne
8th Master - nonickname

8th Expert - plyswfyr
9th Expert - the eel - would have been 3rd had you not burned the 2nd to last check.

5th Novice - 2stroke4fun
7th Novice - tator salad
8th Novice - scar tissue

26 riders in the novice class. good job guys.

Last edited:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I had a lot of fun, enjoyed the course, sweeping turns thru the bush, some whoops (not too many) varying terrain, a lot of direction changes, and in Hodge fasion, a fair amount of square edged rocks. The course was marked well except for some confusion at the end of each loop where ribbon seemed to be layed out in a grid with trails going every which way, I didnt even know that was a check at the end and almost went past to go to my truck :| I think the only way to navigate thru that section was if you knew the set up ahead of time, looks like most peeps did the same.

The weather was nice, low to mid 60's, but I like a little cooler. I managed to maintain vision thru most of the course, but I think limiting myself to the amature class is best until I can find a optimologist that can figure why everything gets doubled, makes for a lot of rocks. Any eye doctors that ride that can give me an eye exam at about mile 5 of loop 3? :clue:

nonickname

Mar 9, 2004
I'm guessing that there were only 8 masters, since I got 8th and didn't even ride. Both of our little ones came down with the stomach flu Sat. night, so we spent the night out there getting yakked on. So we decided to take off that morning instead of ride. Oh well, Hodge isn't my favorite area anyways... even though the Knights usually do a good job.

At least me and Ned got some scouting in for next months outing. Come on out, we promise not to abuse you too much (fingers crossed).

Oh, and the wife gave me a new 300 for Xmas out there. I've only got about 30 minutes of seat time so far, but it seems pretty nice so far (not too different from the old one, just newer). So I've got a '03 KTM 300exc for sale if you know anyone who's interested.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
nonickname said:
Oh, and the wife gave me a new 300 for Xmas out there. .

:yikes: :yikes: : Oh yeah.... by the way..... if its not that big of deal then I'll take it off your hands. thats got to be one of the coolest gifts :cool: :aj:

What a great wife, Could you have her call mine????? :clue:

The race was fun. Not to difficult, but higher speeds. IMO the layout was much better than the checkpoints district race. My only gripe is with the bizarre marking at the end of each loop.

On loop ,1 if you were on time and adjusted your milage to the sign around the 25 mile mark, you were then 2 1/2 minutes down and the check was around the hill. At the check, they said they were going to throw that one out hopefully they did.

Loop two: the final check was mixed in with the start of loop 3 Rbbion basically going everywhere on several bushes `At the check they said they wanted us to run throught the MX track. An arrow or sign might've been helpfull.

Ironically the rest of the trail was marked well and clearly. Like 2stroke said you would've had to know the layout in advance to follow the last part.

Another great event. I personally enjoy out club outings and courses much more than the district stuff. Good job to all.

nonickname

Mar 9, 2004
scar tissue said:
if its not that big of deal then I'll take it off your hands.
It's low-key reactions like this that would keep me from ever being chosen as a game show contestant... I guess I should have thrown in a couple of these: :aj: :yeehaw: :eek: :cool:

scar tissue said:
What a great wife, Could you have her call mine?????

No problem. I should warn you that before I was given the actual bike, she made me sit on Santa's lap and open a gift bag that had a toy-bike glued to a rock in it. I think I actually flipped her the bird (don't know how I'm gonna dig my way out of that one).

As far as the course goes, you can usually expect a couple of times a year to see some mystery markings or mileages at the club events. That sort of thing just happens some of the time when you have 2-3 guys setting up a race by themselves. To me, that has always been part of the challenge with the club runs. That is, figuring out what went wrong before the smart guys (like sorudne) do.

S

Sorudne

First off... What an awesome Enduro! The Knights and company did an incredible job. I know Curtis Cram helped them out a lot with getting the course ready. Hats off to you guys.

Yes, the final check on loop 1 (25.6) was converted to an Observation. Looks like Kevin forgot to factor in the last 1 mile Reset when doing up his signs.

I'll also agree that the markings at the end of Loop 1 and 2 were confusing. At the end of Loop 1 I looked around trying to figure it out, then started back into the loop thinking that I hadn't reached 28.4 miles yet. So I went over the hill and then realized that "if the last check was at 25.6, then there couldn't be another possible." So I turned around and went back to camp, along with 5 other riders that were following me around the desert.

Had a great time, just couldn't quite zero that final check at 40mph, if I were only 17 seconds faster! Rod Lowell hit it on the 48 second mark of his minute, and Danny Schul edged him out hitting it on the 45 second mark of his minute. Kurt Pfeiffer made us all look bad as he locked up the binders and tried to scrub time, hitting the flags on the 21 second mark of his minute! Lucky for the rest of the Master Kurt had burned a check earlier in the day.

Can't wait till Deep Creek '05!

plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
I gotta say, this was probably the best course I've ridden at Hodge Rd. I typically hate ridding this area due to the crazy number of rocks. The Knight's really put some time in picking out the best terrain that this area had to offer. I loved coming into some of those corners where the soil was still a little damp underneath, just laying the bike over, dumping the cluth and railing em. The new Kawi really liked the traction, and kept trying to show off with the front wheel in the air. The Kawi also sucked up those rocks a lot better than the old 96 CR did. Once I get the suspension dialed, I think I can learn to like the green machine.

My 12 year old son has made the jump to Novice X class, so that has pretty much killed my competitivness for now (which is a small price to pay for seeing the smile on his face when he finishes the the full Sunday loop). He can't quite keep the pace at the faster speeds, and I'm just not comforable turning him loose without suppervision for a whole loop. Hopefully the next few events will have some slower speeds on the first loop so I can watch him and still have a chance. Although, then I won't have any excuses left for getting whooped on by Eel! Looks like this month he was his own competition though!

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Dean - I seem to remember you puttin' a beatin' on me for about a good 2 seasons or so ! Payback is a *itch ! :nener: Glad you're getting your new ride sorted out. I expect you'll only get faster as you get it dialed in.

The Last Knight was great - I particularly enjoyed the flowing nature of the course ... nice layout. And like the man said, some confusing ribbon here and there, but it's all good.

Wish we could all get new bikes for Christmas !!! Congrats on the new ride Andy - from what I've read, the 2005's are much lighter and much better suspended - should be awesome !!!!!

In other news, let's all congratulate our own Tony Santero - Thumbs has been elected TWMC's vice president for the 2005 season. Good job bud ... you'll be great.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Congrats Tony. This means the next time Eric and I are over at the party RV with the music blaring at 1am, we can just name-drop if someone comes over to complain.
"Turn the music down"
"I'm sorry, Mr. Santero our personal acquaintance said loud music was ok"

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
We've known since the rag in the airbox incident that he was gonna do great things. ( :

Top Bottom