scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I played cards and drank beers until 12:30 AM. Then got up a 4AM headed out. (one day I'll learn) I figured a 3 hour 100degree desert race wasn't hard enough on it's own, I might as well add a hangover, dehydration and no sleep. :coocoo:

The turnout for the crew and for the race was pretty light. 2stroke worked the race, Thumbs was on row 3, I didn't see Cpt, jack or anyone else. I was on row 14 by myself and only 2 were on 15. It's a shame because it was a great and very fun course. The temps weren't too hot, and loop 1 and 2 were pretty slow so you physically weren't working to hard. The timekeeping- mental aspect was another story. I heard almost the whole field burned check 2, as it was only 1.5 miles after the first check(which was an observation check so we do not get three for free.) I was included in that group and came flying up the hill into the check 2 minutes hot. Thanks for the rule reminder :bang:

Loop 3 got faster and more fun. It also included a nice time jump (i.e mileage but no time advance) The ICO lets you do this but for those of us running watchdogs we are out of luck. I calculated it was abvout 20seconds so I just tried to come into each check 20 seconds early on my differential. I got hung up behind some really slow traffic on a 1 line only large rock filled downhill. I think the speeds were 36MPH through there. I went into it 1 minute early and came out the bottom 3 minute late. Like I said, some really really slow traffic in there. I gassed it as hard as I could and passed a few rows in front of to me to make it to the check only 1 minute down. That was a fun little scoot :ride:

Loop 4 had another time jump, so I figured to come into each check 40 seconds early. The speeds increased so I really pushed to stay early. I guessed they would run us us out 4-5 miles so we could pull ribbon back. WRONG at 2.2 miles as I crested a hill there's the check and I'm really hot. I do my best time scrub of the day and come in on my minute.

I lost the ribbion in the same spot on all the loops. ( as apparently I'm a slow learner) To me the arrows, which were supposed to be straight up, got hit and veered to the left trail and the ribbon went straight. It was fun hauling butt to catch back up and repassing guys.

To me this is what an enduro should be. It was a time keeper, the trails were fun and the speeds were manageable. TWMC did a great job on this one. :cool:

This will be my last Enduro of the summer as the date moved a for next months event and I'll be out of town. This was a good one to end on.

Last edited:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Good report Tim.

It was fun working, learning a little of the other side. I was working the dreaded check 2 and it was fun to see the reaction of everyone that burned it :)

Not sure Ill do the next event, weather depending.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
The June event is June 18-19

Earlier in the year it was listed on the calender as the 4th and 5th.

What happened to Thumbs??? DNF on loop 1? I didnt see him after the race.

Results are up. I took 5th with a whopping 8 minutes thanks to a 7 minute penatly on the 2nd check of the race.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I only did 1 loop and went home. After the first check I hauled azz to the end and burnt the last check by 12 minutes. I was home having a beer by noon.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Scar:

What do mean by time jump (or mileage jump)? I didn't see anything on the route sheet. Is this a sign on the trail that instructs you to advance your mileage?

BTW, I felt like riding this one, but it was too dang hot... :yikes:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
holeshot said:
Scar:

What do mean by time jump (or mileage jump)? I didn't see anything on the route sheet. Is this a sign on the trail that instructs you to advance your mileage?

BTW, I felt like riding this one, but it was too dang hot... :yikes:

Novice class rode into the 4th loop on this race. If you look at the end of loop 3 and 4, they ended at 12.3, however the reset wasn't until 12.4 and no time was allowed for the extra tenth. TWMC will do this on occassion. If you were to program the chart into your watchdog, and verify to the end of loop 1 and 2 everythings fine. Once you verify to any point loop 3, there are 20 extra seconds, over what the route sheet said. Verify to loop 4,and you get an extra 40 seconds.

And no they don't tell you about it.

When this happened last year in the middle of a loop, Andy, I believe, figured out the extra speeds and milage to program in and get back on time and shared it with the rest of us on DRN. This year I didn't program/ notice it until Saturday and just made a note to be 20 seconds early to each check on loop 3 and 40 seconds early on loop 4.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
OK, I see now. Bastids. :debil:

Top Bottom