MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
IT looks like I'm only two more steps away from finalizing the liver transplant thing. A donor came forward a couple months back and so far has tested out beautifully. They have one more test at Mayo on 11/22, but it should be no problem according to my coordinator. I have one more series of checks on December 13 to make sure the cancer hasn't spread. An exact surgery date hasn't been set yet, but my coordinator said it will be right after Christmas based on everything right now.

One way my DRN friends can help: I need ideas to keep from going stir crazy for the month I have to stay near Mayo and get blood tests every day.

This means if all goes well, I could hit my first trail sometime in June next year!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
The best of luck to you Mark! Only thing I can suggest is lots of books and go see a bunch of movies? Where are you staying up there?

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey Mark

Hope that one of these days we'll finally meet up on the trail ... but in the meantime, getting this transplant surgery completed has to be your top priority to win your battle with cancer. I assume you are going to Rochester, MN as that's the location Mayo does most of their transplant work? If so, and again assuming you'll be there during January and perhaps a bit of February ... I think that 70Marlin's suggestions make the most sense as you'll likely be up to your 'incision' in snow and regardless, the weather there is usually a bit on the cool side that time of year. While a month seems like a long time right now, it'll likely go fast while your are recuperating ... and perhaps, you may not feel all that sprightly following the surgery and the subsequent medication requirements for the transplant. Hopefully you'll spend a lot of time catching some zzz's and resting ... and then, when you're feeling much better ... it'll be trail time again!

I hope you'll have access to the internet while you're there ... that way you can keep us up to date on your progress and we can work on keeping your spirits up! Just as it has happened for Woodsy ... us DRN-MTRer's have a vested interest in your well being ... we won't tolerate anything but the best for you and we expect to play a role in your recovery.

Joking aside, here’s to a rapid and complete recovery … looking forward to riding with you next spring … deal?

terry nestrick :cool:

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Mark,

We're delighted to hear the good news...

Let us know if there's anything we can do for you or the family...

Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers...

Blessings on ya'

Mike and Edrye

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
70 marlin said:
The best of luck to you Mark! Only thing I can suggest is lots of books and go see a bunch of movies? Where are you staying up there?

Thanks, books, magazines and DVD's will be in the mix. I'll be in the Methodist Hospital for 8 days, the first 3 days I'll be basically wiped out and a sea of plastic tubing and monitors. Then I'll be staying at The Transplant House, which is a specialized home about 2 blocks from the Hospital. It's a big old home set up with separate rooms, a lot of places to sit, talk, read, play the piano, and use the internet. I'll be there 3-4 weeks, because I'll have to have a full series of blood tests every other day to make sure all is working OK.

I was out there for my partial pancreatectomy/splenectomy in January and February, and boy is the weather COLD!!! There's not much to do outside that's for sure. For the first two weeks, any time in the car will be painful. I remember every little crack in a road felt like the largest series of peaked whoops that you could imagine.

Toward the end of my stay I'll be able to take the in the local Apache Mall I'm sure. There's a KTM and a Honda dealership in town, I may have to go in and drool over some bikes.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hope all goes well Mark. If possible keep us informed as to your progress. If there is anything ya need just give a shout. I am sure someone will step up. Keep those Moab DVD's as long as you need em.

Our prayers are with ya. Keep the ruber side down.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
CONGRATS THERE GOOD BUDDY!!!!! :cool:
Sounds like our prayers/hopes/dreams and concerns are working!!
Now, about this question of "things to do" while there is nothing to do... OH MY GOSH, you came to the right place!! I happen to have a copy of "80.3 Gas Available" authored by Ed Hertfelder and presented to me by one Mr. Bill Smitpuppy that you have GOT to read!! I also have a VHS copy of "Memorable Moments In Motorcycling" that Al Stover sent me, AWESOME - it includes some shots from the first Jackpine Enduro ran out of Lansing (got Dan Raymond himself on it!!) - this tape has some GREAT stuff on it but you have to watch it a BUNCH to really understand all there is there!! I also have some pretty cool mags from years past that I can guarentee will make you smile if you like older bikes.. YZMAN mentioned some DVD's of Utah that he has loaned you.. He loaned me some and allowed me to "pirate" some of that work. If its not redundent, I would be glad to send those out to you too!!!
Some other GREAT DRN persons (and AWESOME riders) loaned me a pair of tapes, some books and some mags that, if I can get permission from thim to forward them to you, you REALLY need to see/read too!! Some AWESOME woods shots!!!! No guarentees on these though, I will contact thim and find out first (they may want me to send them "home" before lending them back out...)
I havent even touched on our MTR/DRN site here and the AWESOME amount of encouragement - nahhh, make that down right LOVE, that these folks know how to display through phone calls, cards and the like..... I personally PROMISE that I will start and maintain a "Hows Mweissen Doing" thread - you will be SHOCKED at how uplifting this will be...
Mark, I am sure that you and your family have to be a least a smidgen aprehensive about this whole thing - you wouldn't be normal if you werent.. Just remember that there are a HOST of us fellow riders out here that are rooting for you - I/WE ARE IN YOUR CORNER BROTHER!!!!!
Looking back on my own personal recovery time - "stir crazyness" NEVER stood a chance :aj: I am SURE that you will find out the same thing!!!
Please keep us up to speed as the big day approaches!!!
Your friend
Scott Barnhard (aka Woodsy)
again, CONGRATS on the GREAT news!!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Ridin' by June... :cool:

Be sure to pass on the address of the house where you'll be staying.... I have an idea or two.

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
i hope you beat this, i know some of what at least your loved ones are going though and only slightly what you are. my mother has been cancer free for about 2 years now, and up until after her surgery she didnt tell anybody but my dad, i would have liked to have know myself, but she is stubborn and she didnt want us to be worrying about her. now she raises money for cancer research at the hospital wear she works and in her neighborhood, well i guess you could say her holler (my dad and mother moved to tenn, when he retired, she still works), and surrounding areas. so you need to beat this to, so you can :ride: :yeehaw:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Godzuki, thanks for the words of hope. I'm glad your mom's doing better, it must've been hard for you to find out after she had all of the surgery done. A lot of people don't talk about having cancer, and want to hide if from everybody like they did something wrong or whatever. It's hard to describe, but it's a pretty lonely feeling having cancer, maybe that's why some people don't want to talk about it. I know I certainly have approached people I know differently, feeling more self-conscious about this thing and my current limitations (no alcohol, learning to control diabetes from my first surgery, etc).

I'm certain that I'm coming out the other end of this thing being able to think more long-term, and to be able to have a reasonably normal life. Including dirt bike riding!

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
yea she dosnt want help from people you know the pride thing and all, and she didnt want me rushing down there, hell she didnt even tell any of her 13 brothers and sisters that live in kentucky. i know she was taking a radiation pill on a off, and when she did my dad couldnt sleep in the bed with her, use her bathroom, eat out of the same plates and dishes, or be in the same room as her for i think a week or 2, its a good thing they have a large house with multiple bathrooms and bedrooms. she now has to take medication for the rest of her life but she gets to live. the cancer for her was in thyroid gland so they had to take that out, and shes gained weight, but she needed to do that anyway hehe. when you get done with the surgery's let me know we need to :ride: . will you make the snow chicken ride i cant remember when it is i know its near the begining of next year i think either jan or feb.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mark

That is great news!

Email me your mailing address and I can send you a couple of enduro videos you might enjoy watching while you recover.

You are an inspiration to all of us Mark! :worship:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Woodsy if your finshed with Aaron's zines, your more than welcome to pass them over to the judge!

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Mark

Good luck and I hope to have you sailing next spring (since we did not hook up for the ride/lunch yet). My wife Cindy left, about the same time we spoke last, to work a job in northern VA near DC and things got spastic, lots of trips back and forth. I wanna get you over there so we will stay in touch!

Semper Paratus!

Warm regards
John Anderson

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks Mar, I am POSITIVE that he will find some VERY interesting reading there too!!! You and that son of yours have been GREATLY appreciated by myself in the war against boredom - I am sure Mark will appreciate the mags as much as I have!!!
Woodsy

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Test ride???

Hey mark, maybe a new 2005 KTM next spring? :ride: I'll let you test ride mine. (I owe you a test ride!)

Fred

Tomck

Feb 13, 2004
Hi Mark,

I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting you--hope to meet you on the trail next summer. I knew that you had some health concerns because of your recent posts, but I did not want to pry as to particulars. I just want to wish you well.

The motorcycle magazines, etc. are good ideas. I also like your idea of visiting some motorcycles shops in the area. When the cold weather hits the Midwest, visits to a good motorcycle shop can provide a bit of a motorcycle "fix", and take your mind off of other things.

Tom

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Fred T said:
Hey mark, maybe a new 2005 KTM next spring? :ride: I'll let you test ride mine. (I owe you a test ride!)

Fred

I sure hope so! Maybe even an '06. AND I'll take you up on that test ride offer :yeehaw:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
It's time guys......I got a call from my donor last night, he told me that Mayo has scheduled surgery for November 30. He told Mayo he wanted to let me know. I have to call back on Monday for more details, but I'll probably have to check into the hospital on the 29th for a day of prep. Prep for this is quite a bit. Since infection is a major problem after transplant, I have to become as "clean" as possible.

Surgery is going to be 8-12 hours. As I said before, I'll be at Mayo for at least a month.

The family is kind of still in shell-shock now that this thing has become more real. Yet, I'm now thinking about a FUTURE! I'm alread looking forward to next year and riding and feeling a lot better!

I'm gonna try to get a ride in tomorrow early afternoon- probably Cedar again (four weekends in a row...). Hey, it's better than nothing! Besides, it looks like it's going to be my last ride for some time!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Good luck Mark, I hope and pray that everything works out great.

Why not try the Holton loop off of Brunswick road tomorrow instead. It is 13 miles. I rode it this morning and it was nice. There is a few super tight sections in there but over all it is prety nice. It is wooped out in spots but no worse than Cedar.

Instead of turning south at Twin Lake go north. Brunswick road is like 5-7 miles north. Road goes to the east and is dirt (there is a woody's sign on the corner). Staging area is on the left hand (north)side maybe 1-2 miles down.

I am heading way north to ride tomorrow. So have fun and stay safe.

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Mark

My prayers are with you and your family ... good luck, come back stronger and healthier than ever ... I too am sorry that you won't be riding W. Higgins on Sunday, this will be the second time this year our planned paths have failed to cross ... the third time has to be charmed, let's make it this spring!

terry nestrick

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Mark,

Have fun riding tomorrow . I will keep you in my prayers.

Curtis

Top Bottom