Two-twenty-five

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
I'm going to be dropping my 200 cylinder off with Eric Gorr on Friday for the 225 big bore treatment. I've all but decided on the Mo Better Everywhere porting. zoom, zoom :)

I decided it was finally time to tear down the engine. This bike was run since 1997 and the motor was never taken apart. This is what I found: The powervalves were a little bit carboned up, but were actually much better than I have heard about and seen with other bikes; actually compared to the others I have seen, they were down right CLEAN, even after five years with no maintenance (more on the premix oils used in this bike later). The cylinder needed a replating for sure: no gouges, but the rings had worn through to bare aluminum at top of the cylinder on the exhaust side (probably due in large part to the airfilter condition, more on that later too). Wristpin bearing was BAD, enough said. The bottom end checked out beautifully though! Not only was the rod big end within wear specs, but it was still within factory specs!

I think this bike shows just how reliable the KDX is. Here's to Blendzol @ 40:1, regular Amsoil @ 40:1, and Amsoil 2000 @ 50:1! Oh yeah, up until now the airfilter was never oiled:eek: It will be from now on though. It has always been cleaned frequently though.

But out with the old, in with the new:aj: Freshened up suspension and a new top end...boy-oh-boy I can't wait! I haven't ridden since September....:silly:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Hey lutz!

I'm pretty much sold on the 225, too. Keep in mind that EG is saying 4-6 weeks out.

Heck..my cylinder needs a replate, too. Considering the cost of that, why not get that, PLUS a bore, PLUS a piston/rings/pin/clips, PLUS a port job by the reputed best, PLUS headwork...and he even cleans your KIPS for you!!..and puts it together (might want to check that timing to be sure it's ok)

Can't beat that for $400!

Hope you post your impressions..hope I don't miss it.

No oil on the filter? Why on earth would you do that???

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
canyncarvr,
Yeah, that deal does sound really good doesn't it? I HAD to get it. :) To bad I'll have to wait, but I guess it's not a really big deal since I'm away at school most of the time; I won't have any real riding time until late this spring anyway.:(
I'll post my impressions once I get it all back together for sure.

No oil on the filter? Why on earth would you do that???
LOL ...ignorance? My brother owned the bike before me, and he never did it. And I had never been exposed to oiling filters...cars, snowmobiles, etc. don't need filter oil, so... I didn't really think it was that big a deal...that is until one time when I pulled the carb and it was really dirty...:aj: I now realize the error of my ways, and I am a changed man ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
btw...

If oiling filters is new to you....do yourself a huge favor and buy a notoil setup (detergent, filter oil, rim grease...you use rim grease, don't you?).

You can clean a notoil-oiled filter in about a minute and not have any petro-chem waste to mess with.

And don't follow any oiling recommendations you read. Any I've seen say to essentially soak the filter and squeeze out the excess. BS. With the aerosol type of notoil, spray it down evenly and work it into the filter. Give a shot to the inside of the filter, too. Notoil's red, so you can easily see where it is and where it isn't.

If you have stuff dripping all over the place...or if the morning after you put the filter in your bike you have a puddle of goo under the airbox..you used way to much oil.

Obviously jetting will change considerably if you go from a non-oiled filter to a squishy-soaked one...and all the variances inbetween.

One more btw..did you read EG's website info on the 225 deal? He specifically notes that you should not take out the studs or the KIPS. Also send the head with it (you mentioned sending in your 'cylinder', as opposed to..say, 'top end'), as he does some machine work to it, too.

Cheers!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Lutz,

Like you, I sent my 200 top end off to EG for his 225 treatment. Took several weeks for mine. It's being shipped right now (should have it tomorrow). :cool: I got a great price as my wife won an Eric Gorr porting job from DRN and she let me use it on the KDX! :) That worked out great considering that i won the MX-Tech prize this year at DW01'.

My cylinder looked pretty good - but then i do use no-toil on my filters :p

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Next year I'm camping beside you guys KelvinKDX. Maybe some of that luck will wear off on me :)

KelvinKDX has graciously offered to write a big bore KDX review. It'll be a well read article for sure! CC and Lutz if you guys are going for the 225 kit please consider writing something up as well. The more info and opinions the better :)

David

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Just mailed my cylinder to EGorr this morning for the 225cc upgrade with mo better porting. :)
Has anyone had this done already and was there any jetting changes. I assume that a larger displacement piston will require different jetting?? I have a stock 200 carb with 155main 42 pilot. Would the increase in displacement effect the pilot or the main or both? Any speculation?

I run a rev pipe, should I have gotten the more mid to high porting instead of the mo better everywhere to compliment my rev pipe or does that matter?

One more thing, does anyone know if EGorr supplies a top end gasket kit with the BigBore kit?
Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The following from EG's site:

New COMETIC gaskets are included and the WISECO Pro-Lite piston kit is checked for fit and the ring gap is set.

ALSO from EG's site
Normally when you overbore an engine 15-20%, the slow jet will need to be richened and the main jet will need to be leaned. Start with the stock jetting and make adjustments after you ride the bike.

But then...200 to 225 isn't 15%. I recall reading others' posts to say the 225 did NOT require jetting changes. Ask him, I'm sure he'll tell you what he said himself!! :)

Did you check his site before you sent the parts off? I'd certainly hope so. Your comment about gaskets kinda makes me wonder. Point is not to harp..but you said:
Just mailed my cylinder to EGorr this morning for the 225cc upgrade ..

His website SPECIFICALLY says to be sure to send in your head, too..as he machines a detonation ring in it.

You might want to click on his logo on DRN..go to forward motion and check out his big bore stuff. Also get your head in the mail, too...if'n you didn't send it along with your cylinder.

And if you didn't check his site.....you know he says he's out 4-6 weeks?

Last edited:

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I did read his website but I didn't know if he supplied only the head and base gasket or if it was the entire top end kit including exhaust orings and reedblock gaskets.

I did send the cylinder, head, piston, rings, and plug just in case.

Ya I know, 4 to 6 weeks is gonna hurt but on week 7...oh yeah! My bike needed a top end anyway and I just couldn't pass up Eric's deal.

Anyone out there with a 225 kit, rev pipe and stock 200 carb??

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Ahh...I unnerstand.

I don't think you can get 'separate' cometic parts..but just the kit.

Yeah...week7 is going to be something. Six weeks FROM now I'll wonder why I didn't send mine in already!!

Hope you enjoy it!

Please do post a thread about the result. Inquiring minds wanna know!!

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000

You will get a top end gasket kit. Cometic part W5856. See below for what gaskets it contains. Actually W5856 appears to be a special kit made for Wiseco by Cometic and seems to be more or less the same as Cometic p/n: C7298.

The piston will be Wiseco. Part 750P4
Rings: 2756CD
Circlips: CW16
Wrist Pin: S259

You won't get a new top-end bearing, so order one from your dealer now. If you still have the stock reeds, now would be a good time to order some Boyesen Power Reeds.

I think you are going to be real happy with the mo-better porting, particularly in NH. Jetting: 155/42 should be a good starting point. I ran 152/42 most of the summer.

Attachments

• rangeimage.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 259

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Thanks guys, my next question was what is the part# of the 225 piston but your one step ahead.

I do have the Boyseen power reeds but they are 1.5 seasons old, do they need replaced on a schedule or only when they start to crack?

Good info about the top end bearing, I think I might have sent mine with the cylinder:think

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I have not had trouble with Boyesen reeds cracking. Usually the problem is that after awhile, they bow and no longer lay flat across the reed cage. Then it's time to change.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
boyesen reeds

..used in their rad valves are the pro series..carbon. Different from their power reeds.

After a years use, mine were:

Flaked
Chipped
Bowed
Cracked

..and replaced.

A side note on the boyesen radvalve

Boyesen now includes a couple of shims to be placed UNDER the reeds if your valve does NOT have a .005 machined step. I didn't see these with the last set I got. Well..that set came WITH the valve, so guess I wouldn't have. Still, maybe that's something new they decided was needed??

Last edited:

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Hey Everybody,
I just got back from my "spring" break from school. I dropped my cylinder (oops, I mean top end) off at Eric Gorr's, and now I'm just waiting for the word that it's done-should be three weeks or so. Oh, the anticipation...:silly:
While I was there, I got to take a look at a couple of unfinished cylinders (both 200 and 220) and see the differences that make the 200 a better candidate for the 225 kit.

I didn't know that I need to order a wristpin bearing seperately, I guess I'll have to add that to my list of bearings to get...Oh, did I fail to mention that I finally took the rear suspension apart...

Regards,
Lutz

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Lutz,

While you were there you didn't happen to see my "finished" cylinder head did you?

EricG says that he has it finished and ready to ship - just waiting on the gasket kit. I was hoping to have mine back in my hands by now.

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
KelvinKDX,
I didn't actually see your cylinder there, but Eric did mention that he had just done your cylinder, so I'm assuming it was done. That was Feb. 22nd. If he was just waiting on a gasket kit, I'd assume that you'll be seeing it any day now.

When you do get it, enjoy, and let us know what you think.

Cheers

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…