UFO Dual Headlight Wiring help

gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
My 2003 KDX 200 is getting a new headlight. I bought a dual UFO light plate for it and dont know how to wire it to my original wiring , It has 4 white wires that need to be connected in some way but dont know how to do so. Please help me out. Also when I disconnected my stock light wiringing and started the engine, the idle ran really high. Does this have anything to do with the electrical system on the bike. One more thing. The rubber straps on the back of the light are a bit to big for the forks and do not snugly fit around them. there is a little bit of free space and I need to know what I need to do to get it to fit my forks and not bounce around. I will post pics as soon as i get it all set up. thanks for your help and have a great day.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
The stock stator only has enough juice to run one of those 35W bulbs. Unless you rewind or buy a bigger stator, you can wire one of them up and have the other for a spare. If I remember correctly, one is a pinpoint and one is a flood. Your disconnected light shouldn't have anything to do with the high idle.

The straps that come with the light are for upside down fork tubes and are larger. You can order the smaller straps, or you can make up the difference with a couple of pieces of large hose.

gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
Dual Light

I think that I am going to buy new smaller straps for it but where at do I get them from? also, do you know what light on there is the flood light and which one is the pinpoint? Please let me know as soon as possible. thanks so much for your time. Also amI just going to connect both the wires togeter and then connect to the main wire or what. thanks alot.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I got my straps (on a UFO ray headlight, but the straps are the same) from the dealer I buy all my stuff through. I would guess he went through Parts Unlimited, but I would just call whoever you ordered yours from to see if they can get the smaller straps.

Here's a good link for headlight info: http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/headlights.html

You should have two wires from the wiring harness to the headlight. I used bullet connectors. Hook up the two wires from the wiring harness to the two wires from one of the bulbs.

Don't know which is spot or flood, just try them both and see which one you like.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
just connect one bulb to the kdx wiring. It doesn't really matter which way you hook them up. Remeber that the KDX only puts out enough power for one bulb not two. If ya want two lights you need to get your stator rewound like kelseybrent said.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I also have the UFO headlight. Mine is not bright at all with both bulbs burning. You will need a new stator for sure. I have the straps from MX South and they fit very tight around the forks. If you want to sell your factory light, I might be interested. E-mail me at randolphja@aol.com.

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
You can buy aftermarket headlight switches that will allow either low beam, high beam, or no lights. Comes combo with a kill switch. Or, you can wire up a SPDT (ON-ON, preferably no center-off)toggle switch but you'll need a marine switch to be weatherproof. Use an angle bracket from the hardware store and connect the bracket to the back of the headlight.

Or just unplug one of the lights after wiring them in parallel.

Odd about the straps, just bought a UFO Twin and they are perfect.

80elkster

Feb 4, 2005
Just Put A Twins on Got 4 Xmas

I just put a UFO Twins on my 93, I only hooked up 1 light but I also bought and installed a LED tail light bulb. I have to say that the head light is very bright and I can see quite well at night. I believe the stock output from the stator is 35 watts spread between the stock headlight which draws 25 watts and the stock tail light which draws 10 watts. An LED tail light use only 0.5 watts leaving 34.5 watts for the head light.
The straps fit perfect on my bike as I have the USD fork and I'm sure they would be too big for the standard forks. I've heard of guys using cut up old inner tube or weather stripping wrapped around the forks to take up the space.
Good luck hope this helps.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I you want both to light you can wire them in series. "connect one light coil wire to one lamp, then connect the other wire from the first lamp to the second lamp, then connect the other wire from the second lamp to the other light coil wire."

Coil wire---0--0--Coil wire
The zeros are the lamps, the dashes are the wires.

This will draw only 1/2 the current that only one lamp will draw but will alow both to "glow" If LIGHT is the goal, wire just one lamp. But I'd guess one is a narrow beam and that one is a flood. You will have to decide which one to wire for you preference. Better yet get it rewound for 70 watts.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There are two wires used that are differently colored. Yellow is unregulated. That is what is switched. The red wire goes to the regulator.

The lighting coil only has one wire coming from it...yellow. The other side of the coil is ground.

Better understood (by me anyway) like this:

Yellow (switched to) 1 White wire from EACH bulb/socket and the Red wire (four wires together).

Frame ground to the other two White wires, one from each bulb/socket. Run all of them through some sort of connector so you can unhook the shell completely from the bike when you're working on 'stuff'.

..where Yellow is the switched unregulated power, Red is the input to the regulator.

My point is to keep in mind the difference between regulated and unregulated. The KDX will put out something close to 100V (AC by the way. Regulated voltage is ALSO AC). If you don't wire the regulator into the circuit you will have VERY bright lights...for a VERY short period of time.

You can buy replacement lamps of different wattages for the 35W lamps you likely got with the shell. I just bought a couple of 20W bulbs as spares for $2.50/ea. at the local electrical/plumbing store.

A DPDT switch can be wired to switch between two different lamps, BOTH options with the regulator also being switched into the circuit.

You can use any number of 'bushing' materials to make the straps made to fit USD forks fit your KDX better. I used to use a couple of blocks of styrofoam.

Save yourself THAT trouble by strapping them up to your 'new' KX forks! ;)

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
Just one comment- it may put out 100VAC, but that is open circuit. Provide a load at or near capacity and the voltage will drop significantly due to internal impedance of the lighting coil, and a voltage divider circuit, and the limited energy of the system. Exceed capacity and the voltage keeps dropping - which is why the bulbs go dim.

But canyncarvr is absolutely correct, if you put a 35W bulb on a system making 40W at peak revs you may have a sudden midnight experience cuz the voltage will exceed 12V.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
92_KDX250 said:
The high idle is because there is less drag on the alternator/stator because you have removed the headlight.
:coocoo:
Then your bike would idle high everytime the headlight was turned off. I run my bike with a full dual sport kit, or with no lights at all. Idles the same both ways. 35 watts is hardly enough to load the engine and change idle.
35 watts = 0.047 hp

My guess would be that you may have changed the routing of the throttle cable when you removed the headlight and it's hanging up a little, causing a higher idle. It should not be electrically related to the headlight being removed.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom